Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nara 1-day Bus Pass 2017/4/15 00:46
I would like to ask how does the Nara Kotsu 1-day bus pass works? I understand that we are required to buy the ticket from Kintetsu Nara Bus Information Center. After buying, head out a few mins walk to the Bus Stop.

We would like to cover these places : Todaiji Temple, Nara Park, Kasuga Taisha Shrine, Kofukuji Temple, Higashimuki Shopping Street

What bus number do we take and can anyone explain about the Bus Stop 1, 2, 3 and stuffs like this?
by Shi Hui Ong (guest)  

Re: Nara 1-day Bus Pass 2017/4/15 09:39
I've got the bus in the past and it's just not worth the money really as we only ever took it to Kofukuji Temple and then walked everywhere. You can walk to Kofukuji Temple in 20/30 mins from R Nara Station along the high street and it's a nice walk.

However, if you want to get it Bus I think number 2 will take you there.
by xpc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nara 1-day Bus Pass 2017/4/15 20:40
Looking at the places you want to visit, I don't think you need a bus pass either. Internet tells me that the shopping street you want to visit streches from Kinetsu Nara station, to Kofukuji temple and onwards to Todaji. Then you're in Nara park, and once there it's nice to walk (there are deer everywhere) to Kasuga Taisha (which was my favourite in Nara! Along with the deer). You can take the bus back to the station, so you'd really only need one ride.

However, if you don't feel like walking from JR station to Kinetsu or want to keep the walking to a minimum, the Nara bus loop is rather convienient. You can get on and off where ever you want, and there are two busses you can take, the loop bus in either direction as it's... well, a loop.

If you take the bus twice (to Kofukuji and then back from Nara Park) you won't get the money out of it unless you stop somewhere else along the way, but it would be less then a 100 yen difference so....

We just got the pass for convenience sake, we got a wooden pass on a cord (made for a nice enough little souvenir) and a map. It was immediately apparent where you could get one when coming from JR Nara station, there were people where you could by it near the busses if I remember correctly.
by Ronda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nara 1-day Bus Pass 2017/4/15 22:24
Hi xpc and Ronda.

Good day to you!
Firstly, I would like to thank both of you for your reply.

I will be coming down from Shin-Osaka Station so I will be taking Kinetsu Nara station.

I personally did my research and also got to know that from Kinetsu Nara Station Todaiji Temple will takes about 20mins walk. It may sounds ok for the younger ones like us but if there is a alternative choice, I believe my parents (they are not that old but definitely prefer taking public transport rather than walking haha).

Initially we see that the since walk is 20mins long, we thought of skipping Todaiji and just cover Kofukuji Temple, Kasuga Taishi Shrine and Nara Park.

But I went further research and got to know that there is this 1-day bus pass thing and thought that it might be more convenient for us if we to cover places like Todaiji, Nara Park, Kasuga Taishi and Kofukiji.

So looking at the places of interest I would like to cover, do you guys actually recommend me to walk from Kinetsu Nara Station and then all the way one place by one place. And then from the very last stop take a Bus back to Kinetsu Nara Station?

Can someone advise how should I arrange them in order? Todaiji, Nara Park, Kasuga Taishi and Kofukiji.

Thank you so much!!
by Shi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nara 1-day Bus Pass 2017/4/15 22:27
Here's website for Nara City Main Route Bus Map for your reference:
http://www.narakotsu.co.jp/rosen/free-ticket/pdf/map-naraCity.pdf#sear...
by Hirohiroboy rate this post as useful

Re: Nara 1-day Bus Pass 2017/4/15 22:48
Regarding the itinerary, I recommend the following :
Firstly, Walk from Kintetsu Nara station to Kofukuji temple. After viewing Kofukuji Temple, take No.2 bus at No.N-4 bus stop and get off at No.N-7 bus stop. Then walk to Todaiji Temple. After viewing Great Buddha Statue in Great Buddha Hall, walk through Nara Park to Kasugataisha Shrine. Finally take any bus to Kintetsu Nara station at Kasugataisha Hondenmae bus stop.
Have a nice trip in Nara.

Re: Nara 1-day Bus Pass 2017/4/16 00:05
Hi Hirohiroboy

Thank you for your reply!

After looking at the map and your explanation, I still am a little confused here and there for taking the buses.

I would like to ask how much is it to take a single trip bus from :
1) Kofukuji Temple Todaiji Temple
2) Kasugataisha Hondenmae Bus Stop Kinetsu Nara Station

Just a few quick questions:
1) Is Kasugataisha Hondenmae Bus Stop a few minutes walk from Todaji Temple?
2) How many mins walk will it be from No.7 Bus Stop Todaiji Temple?

I can't seem to find the bus stops in google map!

Also, if I decided to buy the 1-day pass and make full use of it, do I take:
1) Bus# 2, 6, 70, 72, 97, 160 From No.3 Bus Stop Alight at No.4 (Kohfukuji Temple)
2) Bus# 70,72, 97 from same No.4 Bus Stop No.7 Bus Stop (Todaiji Temple & Nara Park)
3) Bus#70, 97 from the same No.7 Bus Stop Kasuga Taisha Honden Bus Stop (Kasuga Taisha Shrine)
4) Bus#70, 97 from the same Kasuga Taisha Honden Bus Stop Kinetsu Nara Station

Someone please enlighten me! Have troubles understanding this 2 maps.
1) http://www.narakotsu.co.jp/language/en/stop/stop_kin.html
2) http://www.narakotsu.co.jp/rosen/free-ticket/pdf/map-naraCity.pdf#sear...
by Shi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nara 1-day Bus Pass 2017/4/16 10:57
I would like to ask how much is it to take a single trip bus from :
Question:1) Kofukuji Temple Todaiji Temple
Answer:It costs 210yen.
Question:2) Kasugataisha Hondenmae Bus Stop Kinetsu Nara Station
Answer:It costs 210yen.

Just a few quick questions:
Question:1) Is Kasugataisha Hondenmae Bus Stop a few minutes walk from Todaji Temple?
Answer:No, it takes about 15minutes if you walk directly from Great Buddha Hall. However I recommend to visit Kasugataisha shrine after Todaiji temple. Then you may take bus at Kasugataisha Hondenmae bus stop.
Question:2) How many mins walk will it be from No.7 Bus Stop Todaiji Temple?
Answer:It takes about 10 minutes to Great Buddha Hall.

I can't seem to find the bus stops in google map!
Also, if I decided to buy the 1-day pass and make full use of it, do I take:
Question:1) Bus# 2, 6, 70, 72, 97, 160 From No.3 Bus Stop Alight at No.4 (Kohfukuji Temple)
Answer: Yes, it's possible. However you'd better walk considering the distance.
Question:2) Bus# 70,72, 97 from same No.4 Bus Stop No.7 Bus Stop (Todaiji Temple & Nara Park)
Answer:Bus#70 and #97 don't stop at Bus Stop No.7 on your way to Kasugataisha Honden since there are two No.7 Bus Stop as you can see on the map. Bus#72 stops at Bus Stop No.7.
Question:3) Bus#70, 97 from the same No.7 Bus Stop Kasuga Taisha Honden Bus Stop (Kasuga Taisha Shrine)
Answer:No. As I posted the above, No.7 Bus Stop is not available to go to Kasugataisha Honden Bus Stop.
Question:4) Bus#70, 97 from the same Kasuga Taisha Honden Bus Stop Kinetsu Nara Station
Answer:Yes, it's possible.

reply to this thread