Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14 days Japan itinerary. First timers 2017/4/23 23:05
Hi guys,

We are 2 couples in our mid 30's planning a 14 days Japan trip in The end of November. We like cities, nightlife, food and drink, village life and rustic towns, nature, mountains and any water bodies. We like running. Also most importantly local experiences. However with no disrespect, not too keen on temples.

I have been doing a bit of research and come up with this plan. Would love you thoughts and advice.

Friday Nov 17th. Arrive in Tokyo 7am

Nov 18. Tokyo

Nov 19. Tokyo

Nov 20. Train to Hakone. Sleep in hakone

Nov 21. Train to Takayama. Sleep in Takayama.

Nov 22. Takayama. Shinhotaka ropeway and Shirankawa-go. Sleep in Takayama.

Nov 23. Train to Kyoto.

Nov 24. Kyoto

Nov 25. Afternoon train to Osaka

Nov 26. Osaka. Hopefully we get into the Osaka marathon and get to run. Sleep in Osaka.

Nov 27. Train to Hiroshima. And trip to Miyajama. Sleep in Hiroshima.

Nov 28. Hiroshima.

Nov 29. Train to Yufuin. Sleep in Yufuin.

Nov 30. Train to Tokyo. Another night to explore in Tokyo.

Dec 1. 11 am flight out.

Is this doable or over ambitious. We are fairly active travellers and try to see a good amount in the given time. Alternatively we can cut a day in the start from Tokyo since we are coming back to Tokyo in the end and add that day somewhere else.

Also is Yufuin hyped up or is it really worth a trip or is there any alternate that we can try which is more easily accessible. Or is Nagasaki a better pick.

Appreciate all your responses. I'm still fairly overwhelmed by Japan so all advices and criticism welcomed.

Thanks.
by pgautam01  

Re: 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers 2017/4/24 11:09
Looks generally fine to me subject to the train connections. With Yufuin, I really liked it there (and I far preferred it to Nagasaki) but it is a long way to go for a night. Is there something in particular that is drawing you there? If you are after an onsen town, there are plenty more closer to where you will be, and if you are after a quaint touristy town, there are also plenty of those around eg Hikone or Nara near Osaka, or Enoshima closer to Tokyo.

But that isnt to knock Yufuin, I thought it was a lot of fun. A bit like Takayama. I especially liked the owl zoo.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers 2017/4/24 17:36
Personally I wouldn't try to squeeze in Yufuin, unless you have some supergood reason of going there.
It seems a bit much for a short time to be honest.

If the idea is to stay in onsen etc. would stay in an onsen in Takayama or/and Hakone, add an extra night in Hiroshima or Miyajima since you said you liked nature. Just take the hike up to Misen early morning.
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers 2017/4/24 23:25
Thanks guys.

I have realised that Yufuin would not be realistic in my plan. Here is a revised schedule:

Nov 17th. Arrive in Tokyo 7am

Nov 18. Tokyo

Nov 19. Tokyo

Nov 20. Tokyo Possible sidetrip to Nikko or Kamakura

Nov 21. Train to Hakone. Sleep in Hakone.

Nov 22. Takayama.

Nov 23. Takayama. Either Shinhotaka ropeway or Shirankawa-go or neither depending conditions.

Nov 24. Debating between night at Miyajiam or Okahida.

Nov 25. Train to Osaka

Nov 26. Osaka.

Nov 27. Kyoto

Nov 28. Kyoto

Nov 29. Kyoto - Possible night in Mt. Koya.

Nov 30. Kyoto and late train to Tokyo

Dec 1. 11 am flight out.
by pgautam01 rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers 2017/4/25 00:52
if you haven't bought your tickets yet......you can arrive in Tokyo and leave from Osaka. It saves time doubling back to catch a flight to leave. It normally doesn't cost anymore, and sometimes it is cheaper.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers 2017/4/25 16:27
The open jaw doesn't work for me since the Osaka return on ANA is via haneda and our international connection is from narita.
by pgautam01 rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers 2017/4/25 21:56
Hi there,

You described your interests as very similar to that of my own. I am very active, not a fan of temples, but love both big cities and small culturally soaked towns. I will be traveling to Japan this December for the 3rd time in as many years. I have prepared a suggested itinerary not dissimilar to your original one. It is both travel efficient and includes all great stops with many active choices.

There is a fair bit of thought into the order eg. you might want to leave any shopping to your last days at tokyo so as not to lug it all around japan. many of the key stays, have smaller trips the next day to minimise travel time and get the most out of days. eg. going from Osaka to Hakone is almost to Tokyo, so next day is a quick trip. Let me know if you need any more specific help. Good luck with whatever you decide - you'll have a great time!!! :D

Nov 17th. Arrive in Tokyo 7am
Nov 18. Train to Takayama (Explore old historic town and some town periphery hiking)
Nov 19. Takayama (Kamikochi closes on Nov15 unfort but possible shirakawago or hida furakawa day trip)
Nov 20. Train to Kyoto - Gion (old geisha area)
Nov 21. Kyoto (many sights to see and great hiking and culturally rich places
Nov 22. Train to Hiroshima. Catch ferry to Miyajima! great (you could possibly visit Himeji castle on way)
Nov 23. Train to Onomichi (cycle the shimanami kaido - beautiful scenery and great loosener for marathon) Sleep in Imabari
Nov 24. Ride back next day and sleep at Onomichi (65km each way - rental bikes very cheap)
Nov 25. Train to Osaka
Nov 26. Osaka (marathon)
Nov 27. Osaka - Recovery day and Day trip to Mt Koya
Nov 28. Train to Hakone - Sleep in Hakone
Nov 29. Train to Tokyo
Nov 30. Tokyo
Dec 1. 11 am flight out.
by AussieRonnie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers 2017/4/25 22:00
oh p.s learn some basic japanese - doesn't have to be much, but locals will really appreciate any effort :)
by AussieRonnie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread