Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Skiing - Hakuba vs Yazawa 2017/4/25 20:31
hi there,

I have tried to search for forums / youtube vids comparing the different Japanese ski fields but could not find much.

I am looking to do about 3 days skiing in mid Jan 2018. I will be traveling along, in my late 40s, haven't skiid in 25 years and would probably class my level as somewhere in between beginner to intermediate.

I don't want to travel to far north as I will have just come off a 10 day cycling tour and want something with easy access and relatively quick from tokyo i.e nagone or niigata areas,

Can anyone suggest which fields might best suit me? i would be interested in hearing any comparisons / differences, especially with respect to:

- quality / number of runs suitable for my level
- popularity in terms of crowds
- vibe of town / nightlife
- anything else that might be useful for evaluating :)

cheers!
by AussieRonnie (guest)  

Re: Skiing - Hakuba vs Yazawa 2017/4/26 16:28
I think Hakuba is a better choice between those options. I went to Gala Yuzawa last month and it was pretty crowded because it is close to Tokyo and the train station and ski resort ticketing/rental are in the same building which I found very convenient. I have been to Happo One and Iwatake in Hakuba and it isn't as crowded because there are many different resorts in the area. I saw a lot more skiers than snowboarders. I think both resorts have various levels of difficulty on the ski runs.

I can't comment on nightlife since I didn't stay overnight in Yuzawa. I did stay overnight in Hakuba, but stayed in my hotel.

My favorite resort is Shiga Kogen in Nagano. It is the largest ski resort in Japan.

by MikeTI rate this post as useful

Re: Skiing - Hakuba vs Yazawa 2017/4/26 19:27
thx Mike! i will look into the resorts you mentioned :)
by AussieRonnie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread