Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is JR Pass really worth for my itinerary? 2017/4/27 14:37
Hi guys!

I am planning a 20-day trip, starting from Hiroshima to end at Tokyo.

Was checking train prices for each sector at HyperDia and found out that all I need from JR trains will cost \16110, versus a 14-day pass worth \46390.

Am I missing something or it will be really better to go without a JRPass??

***Itinerary is: Hiroshima - Himeji - Osaka - Kyoto - Nara - Kyoto - Tokyo

*Flight arrives Hiroshima and departs back home from Tokyo.
by AFNeto  

Re: Is JR Pass really worth for my itinerary? 2017/4/27 19:38
I think you have grossly miscalculated your fares, as a regular Tokyo to Hiroshima trip is is about 18,000yen. You must have forgotten to add the seat fee to each leg of your trip. Re-calculate with the seat fee and you'll then have a better idea if the pass is worthwhile.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass really worth for my itinerary? 2017/4/27 19:46
The guideline is that if you do Tokyo - Kyoto/Osaka - Hiroshima "round trip" within a 14-day period on JR Shinkansen trains, a 14-day Japan Rail Pass will pay off. So you are generally going only one way, it is likely not to pay off.

But as the above John said, your calculation sounds wrong - either you just decided to use the slowest train all along the routes, or you simply forgot to add the limited express fee (or seat fee, in some train schedule/fare websites) to the JR Shinkansen rides.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass really worth for my itinerary? 2017/5/4 13:11
How will you be getting to Hiroshima to start?
by rkoo rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass really worth for my itinerary? 2017/5/4 23:10
You may want to look into a JR Kansai Hiroshima Pass, along with a single discount Shinkansen ticket from Kyoto to Tokyo. JAPANiCAN has a discount ticket, along with the Kodama ticket. Here are some links:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_kansai_hiroshima.html
http://www.jrtours.co.jp/kodama/en/?scid=jtt_kepEng001

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass really worth for my itinerary? 2017/5/7 20:23
John B and AK, you were right... I missed the seat fee on my calculations but still seems like it's not going to pay off for the one one trip.

rkoo, I'm flying to HIJ.

ebaychucky thanks for the links.

Thank you all!!

by AFNeto (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass really worth for my itinerary? 2017/5/9 08:13
Still not going to pay-off. Retain the flexibility and speed of single tickets.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread