Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rapid Resort Shirakami: costs and reservation 2017/4/27 16:14
Hi there,

This August I will travel around the north of Honshu and I found information about the Rapid Resort Shirakami JR line. I would like to see its scenic route, but I am curious about the costs for the trip. Websites I can find describe using the JR pass, which I am not eligible for as an exchange student in Japan.

Has anyone taken the train and paid for a "normal" ticket? I also found information about the Seishun 18 Kippu, but based on its restrictions, I doubt it will be applicable to this train. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Finally, does anyone have experience with the mid-August crowds? I will ride this train on the 18th of August, just after the Obon week, but I am curious as to how early I should make a reservation.

Thanks for your help!
by SietskevB (guest)  

Re: Rapid Resort Shirakami: costs and reservation 2017/4/27 18:39
Hyperdia is your friend. The Seishun 18 is valid but covers only the base fare.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Rapid Resort Shirakami: costs and reservation 2017/4/28 09:39
Actually, the schedule isn't available yet for this summer! And Hyperdia doesn't seem so keen on showing this special train as a valid option for travel. But based on last year's schedule, I know the train will ride, so that's good. They just don't show the fare anywhere, which can hardly be true; I just cannot find it. Good to know that the 18 seishun kippu will cover the base price though!
by Sietskevb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rapid Resort Shirakami: costs and reservation 2017/4/28 09:48
You have to nudge Hyperdia a little: by default it will not show the Resort Shirakami because it is slower than the Tsugaru or Shinkansen, and Hyperdia tries to show you the fastest options. So just untick the "Limited Express" and "Shinkansen" boxes to eliminate them, and you will see it if you do a search from Aomori to Akita with departure at 8:10.

Re: Rapid Resort Shirakami: costs and reservation 2017/4/28 11:47
(Another way is to search for routes via a station on the Gono line, such as Fukaura, to eliminate more direct routes via the Ou line.)

Re: Rapid Resort Shirakami: costs and reservation 2017/4/28 13:11
but I am curious about the costs for the trip
\4,950
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/intervaltime.html?dep_node=AOMORI&ar...
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/intervaltime.html?dep_node=AKITA&arv...

but I am curious as to how early I should make a reservation.
Book as early as possible. I could be wrong, the earliest reservation is 30 days.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rapid Resort Shirakami: costs and reservation 2017/4/30 21:38
I'm sorry for such a late reply, your help is very much appreciated!

Hyperdia was not too happy with my nudging up to the point that it didn't show me any trains any more, but I have yet to try a different departure station. Thanks for the fare information! I will just have to lock this part of my travel by booking as early as possible.
by SietskevB (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rapid Resort Shirakami: costs and reservation 2017/5/1 09:09
Hyperdia was not too happy with my nudging up to the point that it didn't show me any trains any more

It works for me. http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=AOMORI&arv_node=AK...

reply to this thread