Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice for visit during December 2017/5/3 02:32
Thanks to all those who has help me plan my previous visit to Japan. Need some advice during my visit in early December now, I will be visiting Tokyo from 6th to the 16th. Although December is not during the high season, but reading the internet, it's considered as the most busiest month of the year due to christmas and the end of the year.

Visit to other location like Osaka is not possible during this visit, I will include this for my next visit.

Arrival at Hanada on 6th 2310.

Depart at Hanada on 16th 2355.

One day side trip to Fukushima area by rental car on the 8th December, returning to tokyo at night.

What am I to expect during my visit:

Will it be busier at the major train stations.

Will there be more people around on the streets and shopping.

Will I expect shops to offer better discount for christmas and year end sales.

Will I expect extended opening hours for shops and train service.

When will the christmas illumination start in December, and the best place to see them in Tokyo, as i was told Japan has one of the best around the world. Hopefully it's available during my visit.

Will I miss the autumn leave during my visit, I will be visiting Rikugien Garden on the 7th (or other days if I don't visit on the 7th) and Shinjuku Gyoen on 13th.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything, please post if there is anything else that I should need to know.

by kms899  

Re: Advice for visit during December 2017/5/3 10:50
Hi. I've been over a few times in December. Early - mid December isnt usually that busy at all though the last time I visited in December was 2014. Back then I would say it was a quiet time of year.

Obviously it can be very cold so you need a decent jacket. Last time we stayed at the Dormy Inn Shibuya (nice location and good hotel) and it was pretty lively in the area, with the trees lit up near Meiji park/Harajuku but not much else that I can recall.

There was the odd bit of colour in the leaves still about, I have seen that pretty much up to christmas, but it is nothing like late November. The leaves tend to brown off pretty quickly once the chilly winds pick up.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for visit during December 2017/5/3 21:07
Thanks for the reply, the weather is not a issue, i've lived in the UK for a long time, and it's much colder there, although I am located in Hong Kong now which is much warmer.

I already have my hotel booked, one day at shinagawa, one day in shinjuku, 2 days in Ueno and the 6 days in Asakusa.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for visit during December 2017/5/5 01:13
Here's the website for winter illuminations in Tokyo. It has last year's dates right now but should be updated well before you go.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2303.html

I've only been to the Shidome one, which marvelous.
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for visit during December 2017/5/5 03:23
Thanks, I like the one at Meguro-gawa Minna, Shibuya Ao no Dokutsu and midtown, I will look into these places.

Re: Advice for visit during December 2017/5/5 07:26
I agree, early to mid December aren't busy. Christmas isn't a big deal in Japan. It isn't even a public holiday. One thing you should do is look at stores like Loft and Tokyu Hands for Christmas cards. They're much more amazing than cards here in Australia. It's not uncommon to have electronic and/or musical cards. Also, keep an eye out in the food levels of department stores because they might have "Christmas cake" (strawberry sponge with decorations, not fruitcake). You should buy one just because you can.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for visit during December 2017/5/5 07:27
I wish Uji would add an edit button. The first sentence should say "isn't busy".
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for visit during December 2017/5/5 17:03
advice!...pack very warm clothes!!!!
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for visit during December 2017/5/5 20:27
Thanks for the advice, I'm ok, i'm used to cold weather, if it gets too cold, i'll will buy clothes in Japan.

reply to this thread