Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass no longer valid for multiple entry? 2017/5/3 23:14
My friends just recently notified me of the following update from the JR Pass website and it says that multiple entry temporary visas are no longer eligible to get the JR Pass. Is this true?

https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/common-questions/temporary-visitor-sta...

I have had no problems getting the JR Pass before with my multiple entry visa, but given that the post was written on November 18, 2016, and my last travel using the JR Pass was November 7, 2016, I have no way of confirming the new information. Can somebody shed light for me on this as we will be leaving soon with the intention of getting a JR Pass.

Thanks a lot!
by nelze (guest)  

Re: JR Pass no longer valid for multiple entry? 2017/5/4 09:41
From my understanding it has always been Temporary Visitor status.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass no longer valid for multiple entry? 2017/5/4 11:03
Yes that is what I thought so too. I have always been able to get the JR pass with my multiple entry temporary visitor visa, but the link says that is no longer possible, especially this answer.

https://www.jrpass.com/ja/forum/topics/using-the-japan-rail-pass/posts...

However, some people have said that temporary visitor visas, whether single or multiple entry, are eligible and that the jr pass site is incorrect.

I don't understand why they would not make multiple entries ineligible as I asked the travel agency and they cannot change multiple entry visas to single entry and they even called it a "stupid" idea because most people are thrilled at getting the multiple entry. Likewise, they told me that they can still sell me the JR pass as usual and that the site is really incorrect. However, I just want to see more confirmation on this issue as I don't want to spend money on the pass just to find out I cannot exchange it in Japan.
by nelze (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass no longer valid for multiple entry? 2017/5/4 11:18
I will rely more on the JR east official site, and not third party site, I have only seen information on tourist temporary visa which is the only acceptable form.

Re: JR Pass no longer valid for multiple entry? 2017/5/4 11:23

Re: JR Pass no longer valid for multiple entry? 2017/5/4 12:17
Clearly, any site that writes "visa status" just doesn't know what they're talking about...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass no longer valid for multiple entry? 2017/5/4 12:26
Alright, so from what I understand, according to your link, I am still eligible under:

You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor."
Temporary Visitor entry status, according to Japanese Immigration Law, allows a stay in Japan of 15 days or 90 days for "sight-seeing, etc."
If you apply for a "stay for sight-seeing" when you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as "Temporary Visitor," as shown below. *In order to receive or use JAPAN RAIL PASS, your passport must bear this stamp or sticker.

Since my visa says temporary visitor for 30 days (although multiple entry), it should be fine, right?

Re: JR Pass no longer valid for multiple entry? 2017/5/4 20:52
Correct me if this is incorrect, but the site states 15 Days OR 90 Days, this is the normal sticker or stamp for single entry, you have 30 Days, so i'm not sure what that means, could be related to country.

Also how does it state yours is a multiple entry.

Re: JR Pass no longer valid for multiple entry? 2017/5/5 00:37
Hi! Yes maybe it depends by country. I'm from the Philippines, and the maximum stay for our tourist visa is usually 30 days, not 90. The minimum is still 15 days though.

Mine is stated as multiple because under the field "No. of entries" in my tourist visa it says "Multiple" instead of "Single". In the category, it says "(V) as Temporary Visitor" that is why the statement in the site regarding multiple entry tourist visas not being eligible confuses me.

Thanks!

Re: JR Pass no longer valid for multiple entry? 2017/5/5 03:17
Did you get your visa in japan, looking at mine, it only states date of permit from and to, status which is tempory visitor and duration of 90 days, nothing more. and it was from custom in japan on entry, oppose to my china visa which I had to get in advance from the chinese immigration department, this has multiple entry.

reply to this thread