Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa extention or other suggestion 2017/5/10 21:27
Hey,
Apologies if this exact thing has been asked, I did check but couldn't see a relevant thread.
My partner is looking into moving to Japan for 12 months, she holds a degree, has TEFL/TESOL experience and relevant qualification from Trinity college certified course.
It's looking like she's getting v positive feedback and shouldn't struggle to get a position.

That's the less complicated part...

I obviously would love to travel with her and live in Japan (for as long as I can within in that period). So, as I don't have a degree, and my business background is with music distribution and label/artist management, I'm assuming my best bet is going to be to arrive as a tourist and then look to extend my tourist visa when the time comes for as long as possible. I'd be more than happy to work (if that's even a possibility) in a bar, hostel or teaching English (however no degree but will have a basic TEFL certificate).

Would anyone mind telling me what my chances are on living there with her on a tourist visa short term, or looking for bar work etc.? Or better still, if someone has a better suggestion it'd be more than welcome.

Thank for you time.

Nick
by NicholasCroucher  

Re: Visa extention or other suggestion 2017/5/11 10:53
If your partner finds a job in Japan and gets sponsored for a work visa for Japan, AND if you are married, you will be eligible for a "dependent" visa to stay with her in Japan. The intention of this visa is to allow married couples to live together in Japan. With separate permit (which you need to apply for) to engage in activities other than simply staying in Japan with your spouse, you will be able to do some part-time work while in Japan.

If you don't get married and want to stay with her in Japan, as a UK national (I assume from your profile) you should be able to come in on Temporary Visitor visa, then when the end of the initial 3 months (or 90 day) period is drawing near, you "could" apply for an extension, up to a total of 6 months. But beyond that I believe it is not possible.

If you stay on Temporary Visitor status, working is prohibited, so please do not do that.
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa extention or other suggestion 2017/5/11 14:25
Is it too late for you to apply a visa for Working Holiday?

I'd be more than happy to work (if that's even a possibility) in a bar, hostel or teaching English (however no degree but will have a basic TEFL certificate).
-I think bar work is illegal with any visa except spouse of Japanese national.
-In case of exchange work (work for a free bed/food) with a tourist visa (short term stay visa) it is illegal, you need either WH visa / Student visa + permission for working / Dependent visa + permission for working.
by mmm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa extention or other suggestion 2017/5/12 00:09
A Working Holiday Visa might be the best way it permits you to stay in Japan for up to one year.

http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/index_000072.html

by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa extention or other suggestion 2017/5/12 07:18
If you are prepared to go to reputable Language school for 1-2 yrs or maybe a University you may be able to get a student visa, and you can qualify for a work visa (part time) but you must be prepared to attend school regularly. Check their websites, as it can often take many months as the language schools support your visa application.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa extention or other suggestion 2017/5/12 08:06
All of these answers are greatly appreciated.
We haven't set an exact date yet but will be doing so in the coming weeks. We're looking at going before the end of the year (likely early autumn).
I'll look into the language schools in Japan, and knowing that there's an option to apply for various decent lengthed visas is heartening.
I've seriously considered the university route (although only in the UK) as I'm fortunate enough to have more than enough UCAS points from from A levels.
I'm in a position where I may be able to continue working for my current company remotely.
I'll look into visas that may be appropriate for that situation.
Again, thanks for all the help.
by NicholasCroucher rate this post as useful

Re: Visa extention or other suggestion 2017/5/12 14:41
by F Zhang (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread