Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can I pay income tax? 2017/5/14 17:39
Good Afternoon,

I am looking for help with this question I have relating to tax, its something im really worried about. Looking for answers from obviously foreigners who are actually living and working in Japan and have been here over a year.

I came to Japan in April 2016 on a Working Holiday Visa and started working right away part-time.As you may know the tax rates for foreigners in their first year are very low. Anyway, everyone keeps telling me after the first year I have to pay income tax, which is fine, however nothing has changed so im worried about back payments building up.

I had my paycheck from my job last on May 10th and again paid no income tax. Is it simply a case of calling the city office and saying that I want to pay income tax? Sure it cant be this difficult to WANT to pay tax.
I just dont want to break any laws.

Thanks!
by dcd  

Re: How can I pay income tax? 2017/5/14 18:55
For most people with employment income, their company takes care of it - withholding, adjusting the witheld amount at end of year, paying the tax authorities, etc. Are you saying that your company is witholding nothing for taxes? Your company will be able to tell you what they do, and what you must do.

For people with investment income or royalties, etc., but without employment income from a company, and for the self employed, (and for employed people making more than 20mm(?)), then you must do it all yourself. You make a statement of income and expenses occured in producing that income, calculate net-income, and pay tax on that. If you are in this category you would get started by visiting the tax offices.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I pay income tax? 2017/5/14 19:42
As the above poster said, you should first ask your employer what they are doing in terms of withholding income tax, and also about enrolling you (or not) into their health insurance scheme. Since you say you are working part time actually they might not be doing that.
If they are not withholding taxes, and if you made more than 1,030,000 yen from April to December, you will have to file your taxes on your own. BTW have you changed to another type of resident starus from Working Holiday, because by now it is over one year?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How can I pay income tax? 2017/5/14 20:48
Thank you for the replies.

Just some additional information -

I have been on a Spouse Visa as of April this year.

Health insurance - no as im part time its not covered but i have that sorted.

by dcd rate this post as useful

Re: How can I pay income tax? 2017/5/15 16:27
Even if only working part time, I believe that they should be withholding 10%. Your pay slip should show that, and your company can confirm.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I pay income tax? 2017/5/16 17:52
thank you for the replies guys.
by dcd rate this post as useful

reply to this thread