Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New job, feeling under qualified 2017/5/20 13:09
Hi all,

TLDR: Feeling under qualified at new job as everything I'm doing is completely in Japanese for the first time in my career. Worried about being let go within 3 month probation period.

(long post)
My situation is I started a great job at a great company in Tokyo doing what I've done at previous jobs. The clincher is I'm doing all my tasks in Japanese this time whereas before I was doing my job tasks in English. At this job, they're expecting me to write media for the company in Japanese for a Japanese audience and the press.

While my Japanese is probably high-intermediate (passed N2 about a year ago), I definitely haven't had experience writing to Japanese press in perfect/interesting-to-read Japanese.

I was straightforward in my interview about my Japanese. They asked me if I would feel comfortable interpreting for large audiences, and I replied "not really". However, coming into this job, they still may have me interpretation.

They had my resume, so they should have seen that my last job I was writing in English. I feel I've been pretty straightforward, and I think it's hard to hide not having perfect Japanese in a Japanese-speaking interview, so now I'm two weeks into the job, and I already feel my boss thinks dislikes me because my Japanese isn't high enough.

I'm worried about the 3 month probationary period, too. The job is great, and if they had patience with me, I think I could learn fast...but my boss isn't really into being a mentor for me (he speaks Japanese and English perfectly) and he seems to already be annoyed with me, as I said. He has a short fuse, and even though I've tried to ask him questions so I can get caught up, he gets angry with me as, admittedly, he's having to repeat some information.

I took this job feeling they had an idea on what I could and couldn't do during the interview, but now I feel I've made a mistake taking this job.

Any ideas/advice on what I should do?

Thanks.
by worriedaboutjob (guest)  

Re: New job, feeling under qualified 2017/5/21 12:09
How long have you been there?

Any new job has a learning curve. This situation may be harder than most. If you can get through this, you can do it and what an awesome achievement. If you can't get through probation, it probably isn't the right job.

Enjoy it and do your best.
by kmb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New job, feeling under qualified 2017/5/21 12:39
I guess you must be somewhat overwhelmed that you need to do everything in Japanese and also do interpreting, AND the boss watching over you.
One by one, I would say. Better writing comes only from practicing, so if you can, try writing out things in Japanese, and have it reviewed maybe by colleagues or friends; read magazines to pick up expressions, etc. If interpreting is definitely part of your work, you might consider going to an interpreting training center (they have evening courses, I used to go to one twice a week) to improve your skills (understanding what is being said, and interpreting it professionally, can require different skills). This would also help to show to the boss that you are making efforts.
Best wishes, and yes, as the earlier poster says, any new job is a learning curve - learning opportunity.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: New job, feeling under qualified 2017/5/21 13:00
Thank you guys for the advice.

I guess I'm also wondering two more things:

1.) how strict are probationary periods in Japan?
2.) AK, I was looking for some interpretation courses, but a lot of them are day courses. Can you tell me the name of your school that was running courses at night?

Thanks again!
by worriedaboutjob (guest) rate this post as useful

五月病? 2017/5/21 15:35
I understand what you mean. I've been there more than once, although my native language is J, so it was the other way around.

I think it's really up to whether you want to keep the job or not. If you want to keep the job, do your preparations well. Ask for copies of what is going to be discussed, and be sure that by the previous night you can explain that in both languages. You can research a lot from the internet, and whatever you couldn't, you can ask the people you're interpreting for because they are the experts. But it's important that you do your own research first.

Whether you want to keep the job or not, ask people who have done similar jobs. Ask real people though, the people who really know you in person. That way, it will be easier for them to give you the appropriate advice or encouragement. In other words, seek a network of friends or former mentors you can ask questions to.

To tell you the truth, I've resigned from a couple of these jobs, 1) because I found out from experienced friends that I would be able to find better jobs in the same field, and 2) because I realized that that's not the field I seek (1 and 2 were separate fields). But I've kept other jobs, because I knew I can do better next time.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: New job, feeling under qualified 2017/5/21 21:09
I agree with Uco-san about preparation. Be it interviews that you conduct or interpreting between others, prepare for the event - read up on the topic and the interviewees, etc.

2) The one I went to years ago is now called ISS Institute, located near Kojimachi/Hanzomon subway stations. I remember two non-Japanese classmates among one of the classes I attended. The one I went to was 2 evenings a week, over several months.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: New job, feeling under qualified 2017/5/21 23:00
Hi there,

Exactly what I've been feeling since I started this new office job from April. With no experience in administrative work or event planning, I am assigned to hold an event. And I need to figure out how things were done by myself because the guys involved in the project were left. The place I work in happens to be a government-related organization, which means there are tons of official documents to prepare.

Although I can read Japanese, I have never written anything in Japanese before.

And I get panic about making/receiving phone calls. I don't think I can handle all the business Keigo stuff correctly.

I struggle in forcing myself to get to work everyday. I hate living in here now. If I could go back in March I would reject the offer and continue with my parttime job.

Really appreciate any suggestions.
by L (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread