Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help with detailed Tokyo Itinerary 2017/5/24 05:28
Hello

I saw lots of threads on itineraries in Tokyo, but I am hoping to enlist the help of the community for a very detailed one for Tokyo. My main question is if I am trying to do too much every day?

We get in to Narita around 11am.
- Hotel is in Shinjuku
- Shinjuku Gyoen Park
- Walk around in Shinjuku, stop by department store Isetan and check out their food court - Depachika
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government Offices to see the view of the city - around sunset
- Dinner in Shinjuku
- See Kabukichō - right by Shinjuku and hotel
- Bar Hop in Golden Gai

FIRST FULL DAY
- Tsukiji - thru about 11am. We will not go there at 5am, we will go there around 8am, have breakfast and then see it once it opens at 9am
- Hamarikyu garden (is it even needed given limited time?). Does it make sense to take a boat to Asakusa from this garden or just metro? Boat is about 40 minutes
- Asakusa - explore the general area
- On the way to Sensoji temple - through Nakamise
- Sensoji temple
- then go to Akihabara
- then go to Imperial Palace gate (too much?)
-Tokyo station (too much?)

SECOND FULL DAY
- Ginza (including sushi lunch at IWA)
- Shibuya
- Meiji Shrine
- Harajuku area of Shibuya (Takeshita Dori and its side streets)
- Go explore/shop at Tokyu Hands
- Go explore/shop at Shibuya 109

Not enough for 2nd day? Maybe do Imperial Palace and/or Tokyo Station this day?

And we have another day during which we want to see Kabuki theater and do something else. Still TBD

Thank you in advance
by Arturchik (guest)  

Re: Help with detailed Tokyo Itinerary 2017/5/24 16:51
Looks fine to me.

Day one is a little rushed maybe.

Dont under estimate the time it takes to walk around the shopping districts. Lots of alley ways and shops to see. Exploring Ikebukuro and Shinjuku could take a day each if you did a full explore.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help with detailed Tokyo Itinerary 2017/5/24 22:28
I will only comment on the main points according to my opinon,

I would consider it a rush schdule on arrival, as Shinjuku Gyoen Park will take a good few hours, I would also think having dinner in shinjuku first before heading to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Offices which closes at 2300, then back to Kabukichō which is more lively at night.

Day one, I will think the main walk way from the gates to the temple will take a good 20-30 minutes as a common tourist destination, but if you want to fully see Asakusa, it's the surrounding and the small streets and ally way is the way to go, this could take may hours to a full day.

Unless you like to see the palace surrounding garden area which is nice, there really isn't much to see, and I would skip Tokyo station, not sure what there is to see there, if you are into akihabara, you can also consider nakano broadway.

Day two I would skip Ginza, and spend more near Shibuya area including harajuku, shinjuku or Ikebukuro.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Help with detailed Tokyo Itinerary 2017/5/25 13:58
Hi Arturchik,

I think your plan looks basically sound, but yeah I'd go with Tokyo Station & Imperial Palace on the second day, as they're next to Ginza so you can check them out then walk over to Ginza / vice versa. At Tokyo Station, I recommend going into the Shin Marunouchi Building (exit 4a from the Tokyo Station Marunouchi subway line section i.e. west part of the underground labyrinth - good luck!) and grabbing a coffee / beer / cocktail on the outdoor deck of the restaurant level (8th floor or thereabouts, if I remember correctly) from where you have nice views of the old Amsterdam-style Tokyo Station building.

For your first day, try following this walking route:

http://www.4corners7seas.com/shinjuku-kabukicho-walking-tour/

That takes in Metro govt building, Memory Alley, Kabukicho, and Golden Gai.

Hope this helps!
by Simon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help with detailed Tokyo Itinerary 2017/5/26 01:59
I would skip Shinjuku Gyoen Park, Isetan and Depachika, Hamarikyu, Tokyo Station, Tokyu Hands. They're not much. lol

by hello (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help with detailed Tokyo Itinerary 2017/5/26 03:10
I agree with skipping the stores unless you have something to buy, but the Patisserie in the department store is enjoyable, many cakes you probably haven't seen before, some are rather expensive, but nice to have a look, the last time I spent about 3500yen on a few cakes just to eat at the hotel. The garden is nice if you enjoy them, otherwise skip it as they do take a few hours to walk around.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread