Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Osaka/Fukuoka 2017/6/15 19:33
My previous trip I purchased a 14 day JR Pass to use for my 16-night stay to travel between Tokyo 2N-Kyoto 6N-Takayama 1N-Kanazawa 2 N-Tokyo 5N (with side trips to Hiroshima/Miyajima, Nara, Osaka-USJ).

My late October/early November trip is a 9-night stay. And this is what I'm planning:
Air tickets already paid for (this particular airline only flies into KIX so no option to flying in and out into different airports).

25 Oct - Flying
26 Oct - land in KIX @ 8:25PM, overnight @ hotel by KIX; forward luggage to Fukuoka hotel from airport)
27 Oct - early flight to Fukuoka - city site see
28 Oct - Fukuoka - city site see
29 Oct - Fukuoka - Day trip to Kumamoto OR Nagasaki
30 Oct - Fukuoka - ??? May do day trip out somewhere (maybe the one I didn't do on 29th) any suggestions on where to go; forward luggage to Osaka hotel
31 Oct - Fly out Fukuoka back to Osaka - city site see
01 Nov - Osaka - USJ
02 Nov - Osaka - Himeji/Kobe
03 Nov - Osaka - Kyoto (Gion, other places I missed on my previous trip)
04 Nov - Osaka - city site see (flight back home @ 11:40PM)

Planning on flying on a LCC airline like Peach or Jetstar or ??? Currently, Peach has 4,300 yen after taxes & fees for the 27th Peach Fare and 6,200 yen for the plus. No flights available yet after the 28th as of yet.

Is this a good price?
Should I just book the first flight out and book the second flight later when available? OR Wait til the 31st is available on Peach. I think Jetstar is similar cost also and price only up to certain day also. JAL & ANA is high when I checked. Is there any other airlines? Vanilla Air doesn't fly to Fukuoka.

Which Kansai pass should I get?

Hotels (all booked with free cancellation):
1st Night: hotel next to KIX; reserved
Fukuoka - hotel less than 10 min walk from Hakata Station and Canal City (smack in the middle of the 2); reserved
Osaka - ????, I'm thinking somewhere near Osaka Station/Umeda area
by hibell77 (guest)  

Re: Itinerary Osaka/Fukuoka 2017/6/16 11:33
If you haven't booked the domestic tickets between Osaka and Fukuoka yet, have you considered the 7 day JR Sanyo Sanin Pass, which is 19000 yen? If you're set on going to Nagasaki and Kumamoto, then may not be good value. However, if you are at all interested in sightseeing in the Chugoku area, then it maybe worth it (obviously allows you to travel on the shinkansen between Osaka/Kyoto and Fukuoka). I don't think I really answered your question, but just want to give you another option.
by AT (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Osaka/Fukuoka 2017/6/16 19:13
@ AT

This is the first I've heard about a JR Sanyo Sanin Pass. I'll look into it. I originally was planning on getting a 7 day JR Pass and use it from Oct 27 to Nov 2. Use it while traveling fromOsaka to Fukuoka (with trips to Kumamoto and/or Nagasakai). And use it on the 31st, Fukuoka to Hiroshima for a couple of hours then continue on to Himeji for several hours then on to Osaka. But I don't think it's close to being worth it and other options was better...it's convenient though

I wanted to go to Tottori but didn't know when to put it. Was either take away 1 day from Fukuoka and overnight somewhere in between. Or add the day to Osaka and do a day trip from there to Tottori. Or take out Kobe and do Tottori/Himeji. Then I got tired and decided to "kind of" simplify it.
by hibell77 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Osaka/Fukuoka 2017/6/17 07:10
It's certainly doable. The JR Sanyo Sanin Pass though will get you to Hakata (Fukuoka) and back, but that is all. I'd say flying is still a better deal since 1) it's cheaper, and 2) the benefits of the pass are not realized since you are at KIX and in Fukuoka the subway goes right to the airport, so there is no time wasted in transit to your flights. If you are going beyond Hakata, the Pass is also useless.
In spite of what a few might say, Fukuoka does have a number of good sights - it is more than just food. It's up to what you're interested in though. Do some browsing and find what appeals to you.
http://www.thejapanfaq.com/fukpic.html
https://yokanavi.com/en/
Going to Kumamoto is only about 40 minutes by bullet train, and 2 hours one way to Nagasaki. I'd still recommend Nagasaki however - it is a unique city with western and Chinese influences going back centuries. Some people just focus on the A-bombing, but there really is so much more than that.

For Oct 30, there are some possibilities for day trips. Most people would reflexisely say Dazaifu; it's famous for the head Tenmangu Shrine, but I would not go there for only that. There is also Yanagawa, famous for its donko bune or canal boat rides. Karatsu is westward and not too far off - it has a quaint castle and very relaxed vibe - maybe too quiet though. If you drive, there are some good places nearby. Kitakyushu is also an often overlooked place - the Kokura Castle is not bad, and the view from atop Sarakurayama is an unknown jewel that even the well traveled are clueless about.
Other possibilities are of course seeing Yufuin and/or Beppu. One sight just outside Fukuoka City is the Nanzoin Temple, and you absolutely should not miss it. Do a youtube search on it and you will see why.
Of course, if you go to Kumamoto or Nagasaki plus someplace farther out on your last day, you really should look at getting a JR Northern Kyushu Pass to save some money.

For within Fukuoka City, get a subway day pass - many of the best sights are not far from a station. Or for that plus the bus, get a Fukuoka Tourist City Pass.
https://yokanavi.com/en/tourist-city-pass/
There are also many other discount combo tickets:
http://www.ensen24.jp/global/english/
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Osaka/Fukuoka 2017/6/17 15:43
If you are willing to travel for two hours to Nagasaki, then just about all of Kyushu is available except Miyazaki prefecture within said two hours of travel. Kagoshima, Beppu and Yufuin being the furthest.

Considering you are travelling to and from Osaka within 7 days. A 7D JR Pass might be fruitful. No need to pay for sending luggage in advance. Covers travel between Osaka and Fukuoka, and also Fukuoka and Nagasaki. But you'll need to do your sums to make sure it is worth it.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Osaka/Fukuoka 2017/6/18 10:41
@Ken thanks for the links. I like that there's itinerary guides in the Fukuoka site. Really helpful.

@hakata thanks

I'm pricing transportation out various ways and any combination. I'm willing to pay a little extra if combining different options for time and convenience. I have to figure where I want to stop over and which day trios to do so I can price it.

I got a good deal on my air tix (like half off what I would have to pay on other airlines). Also got my first night at an airport on a steal. They had price wrong online and I and a coworker jumped on it. We were worried about the price being so low and if it's correct so he emailed to check. They're honoring the price. Supposed to be \17,000 but paid \1,700. Rest of my hotels I'm looking at between \5,000 to 13,850. I'm familiar with budiet hotels and how small rooms are. Since I'm going solo size of room doesn't matter to me.
by hibell77 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread