Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much money will I need in Japan? 2017/6/20 20:30
Hi there, so obviously you guys might get asked this a lot but I'd like to know for my self. For 14 days, how much money will I realistically need in Tokyo, Japan? I would really like to take some day trips on the trains to various places as well if that's an available option (maybe I'll need the JR Pass?), and shopping, eating out. tourist stuff etc.

Not including flights; my budget I was aiming for is $5,800 AUD .

I still need to pay for hotel (I was looking at those various APA hotels around Tokyo which roughly costs $1400 on booking.com for 2 weeks), so that leaves me with $4,400 if I decide on that.

Is it enough? Will I need more? It would be appreciated if someone could shed some light, thank you. :)

Side question: Do I need to book hotels online before I leave or do they take walk-ins?

by Mitcheee  

Re: How much money will I need in Japan? 2017/6/21 11:24
So you are talking about (excluding hotels) 4,400 Australian dollar for 14 days, spending money & domestic travel only.

That is...314 AUS $ per day, so that is a bit over 25,000 yen per day. That is plenty if you don't splurge all the time.

Having said that, you should plan your day (or overnight) trips well; if you are thinking about 14 days "in Japan" total, you could consider basing yourself in Tokyo to see Tokyo itself and other cities around it, and then the other week in Kyoto. Staying in Tokyo the whole 14 days and making day trips, for example, to Kyoto would be not so efficient in terms of travel times.

Please read the travel section of this website and select what/where you want to go/see. Whether JR Pass pays off for you depends on how extensively you travel within Japan.

Also, if you want to save on accommodation, it would be good to book in advance. You don't want to spend a lot of time each day searching for hotels, and depending on locations/budget, availability can be slim. Enjoy planning!
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much money will I need in Japan? 2017/6/21 15:37
Use Airbnb in Japan. Bigger, more comfortable, and cheaper.
by HollywoodHogwood rate this post as useful

Re: How much money will I need in Japan? 2017/6/21 16:51
Thanks guys ! :)

I will definitely check out air bnb, any more answers will be appreciated. :)
by Mitcheee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread