Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ueno to Hakone 2017/7/10 14:51
We will be traveling second week of August and would like to go from Ueno to Hakone for a day trip. We have JR passes. Could somebody please tell us how to get there without much confusion. Also, is the Romancecar faster and more expensive? I'm traveling with my 2 teen age kids who would like to take the bullet train. Would a day trip and back to Ueno for the night doable and yet enjoyable?

Thanks so much!
by JGrou (guest)  

Re: Ueno to Hakone 2017/7/10 18:25
Any JR train to Tokyo station. Then shinkansen to Odawara.

Romance car is cheaper paid option. But takes 90 minutes compared to 35 mins on shinkansen.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ueno to Hakone 2017/7/10 18:44
If you have JR Passes, then you can use the Ueno - Tokyo - Odawara section with no additional charge (and your kids would get to ride the Shinkansen train between Tokyo and Odawara).

Beyond Odawara, you need to pay for various modes of transport "within" Hakone, which is not covered by JR. I suggest you get the "within Hakone only" Hakone Free Pass when you reach Odawara, if you are doing the Hakone round course.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread