Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel ideas for mid-November until New Years 2017/8/13 22:23
Hello everyone,

I'm currently planning a trip to Japan this year, which will be a bit longer than my past trips. As I've been to most major cities and obvious tourist spots, I'm looking this time to see a bit more of the not-so-obvious spots (and Hakone, as I've somehow always missed that.) I'm male, in my early 30s, in case anyone wants to tag along, feel free to message me.

Anyways, as I'm not sure about the weather during this time (latest I've been in Japan was Nov.7 in Kyushu...which was still cozy) I'm also not sure which of my so-far plans are maybe impossible. I read in another thread for example, that the alps wont work for me after end of October.

What I am looking for is two things thus:
1) Insight, if some of my plans wont work during that time
2) New ideas. I'm a freak for volcanos and food. But also nature in general, as well as festivals, etc. No car planned, so accessibility by public transport or day-hikes would be favored.

Plans so far:
Hakone

Sapporo
Hakodate
Matsumae

Ogasawara (8-9 days, as the ferry only goes so often)

Noto-Hanto

Kanazawa
Ainokura
Kamikochi

Nagoya
Ise (possibly New Years')

Thanks for any help and advise!
by purple cow  

Re: Travel ideas for mid-November until New Years 2017/8/14 06:44
Did you travel before already to Shikoku?
If not (and assuming that you plan to stay quite long in Japan) I would go for 1-2 weeks to Shikoku. My personal highlights would be:
- garden in Takamatsu
- Teshima
- Naoshima
- Bicycle ride over Shimanamikaido (http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.jp/search/label/Shikoku+Planning?m=... )
- Matsuyama and Dogo onsen
- Shimantogawa
-Castle in Kochi
- some of the 88 temples

You get culture, onsen, nature, temples, gardens and not too many tourists.

Enjoy your travel to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Travel ideas for mid-November until New Years 2017/8/14 07:00
Thanks, I'll look into it. Is bike borrowing possible there? Only been to Takamatsu before.

Just one question though: When I was in Takamatsu last time, is was late february, and when we asked at the tourist info about hiking trails, they thought us suidicial (so we went to Shodoshima instead) - will this be better in December?
by purple cow rate this post as useful

Re: Travel ideas for mid-November until New Years 2017/8/14 07:15
Regarding bike rental for Shimanami Kairo, yes this is possible on both ends of the route.

Regarding wheather in Shikoku in Dec I actually don't know. I was there in May. But I would say that maybe hiking to higher mountains might be difficult to the lower temples it should be fine. I don't think that Shikoku is famous for its snow and snow in general kicks in more around late December/January.

Obviously if you are worried about wheather there is always Okinawa for some subtropical wheather. But I can't speak to it, apart from having heard from friends that it's very nice.

By the way there is nothing wrong with the destinations you proposed, just thought that Shikoku was missing of the list.

If you are into Sumo you might also want to try if you can get hold of tickets for the November tournament in Fukuoka and do some Kyushu travel. I liked Kurokawa onsen, but it might be challenging by public transport. Beppu seems to be easier from that perspective. There are also some very scenic train rides suggested around Kyushu.
Unfortunately it is likely that Mt Aso will be still off limits so no chance there to visit a volcano.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Travel ideas for mid-November until New Years 2017/8/14 07:47
I've been extensively to Kyushu before, so that's not much on my list this time, even though the time of the year would benefit it. Okinawa I'll substitue with Ogasawara ;)

But you're right, Shikoku was missing there. Truth is, after the first attempt there, I've never looked into Shikoku again, aside my studies about the henro. I'll add it to my list now, thanks!
by purple cow rate this post as useful

reply to this thread