Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary check 2017/8/18 00:07
Dear forum members,

Could I please ask your help in reviewing the below itinerary? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Day No. Date Schedule Night inc
Day 1 Sep-28 Departure Flight
Day 2 Sep-29 Arrival - Tokyo Narita (10:35am) Tokyo
Day 3 Sep-30 Tokyo-Nikko-Tokyo Tokyo
Day 4 Oct-01 Tokyo-Kyoto Kyoto
Day 5 Oct-02 Kyoto-Nara-Kyoto Kyoto
Day 6 Oct-03 Kyoto Kyoto
Day 7 Oct-04 Kyoto Kyoto
Day 8 Oct-05 Kyoto-Himeji-Miyajima Miyajima
Day 9 Oct-06 Miyajima-Hiroshima-Kanazawa Kanazawa
Day 10 Oct-07 Kanazawa-Shirakawago Shirakawago
Day 11 Oct-08 Shirakawago-Takayama Takayama
Day 12 Oct-09 Takayama Takayama
Day 13 Oct-10 Takayama-Kamikochi Kamikochi
Day 14 Oct-11 Kamikochi Kamikochi
Day 15 Oct-12 Kamikochi-Matsumoto-Tokyo Tokyo
Day 16 Oct-13 Tokyo Tokyo
Day 17 Oct-14 Tokyo Tokyo
Day 18 Oct-15 Tokyo Tokyo
Day 19 Oct-16 Departure from Tokyo (12:00pm) Flight
by Noam (guest)  

Re: Itinerary check 2017/8/18 14:55
Looks interesting, you'll cover a lot of ground and you'll see a lot. If you're looking for something to cut, I would drop Nikko, I always found Nikko with the buildings dedicated to Tokugawa Ieyasu a little too kitsch. :-)

As I also fly back early from Narita, I've come into the habit of staying the last night at Narita Town, spend the afternoon at the Naritasan temple complex and gorge on unagi. Way more relaxing than getting up early and rushing to the airport from Tokyo.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check 2017/8/18 16:52
Day 9 might be a rush. Six hours of travel within that day, plus sightseeing. IF you are happy to arrive in Kanazawa around dinner time or just after, it might work.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check 2017/8/18 17:37
Thank you!

Two follow-up questions:

1. We plan on buying a 7-day JR pass and use it for days 3-10. My understanding is that I can exchange my voucher when I arrive with a future activation date. Is that correct? Also, do you foresee any issues with reserving the tickets just 2 days in advance (for the Tokyo-Kyoto train) taking into account that we are just a couple? Otherwise, can I reserve seats before exchanging the voucher?

2. For the main attractions along our route (Tokyo, Nikko, Kyoto, Miyajima, Kanazawa, Shirakawago, Takayama and Kamikochi), is there anything we should book well ahead in advance (for attractions, that is, not accommodation)?
by Noam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check 2017/8/18 18:26
Re-work day 9. I am getting a "too rushed" feeling from your plans there.

As for your other followup question regarding the JR Pass: yes you can specify a future date as in that you don't have to exchange the order and have it commence "immediately".

I've rarely had the need to go reserve in advance for trains along the Tokaido Shinkansen (your Tokyo-Kyoto route). You can exchange your voucher and the staff will often ask you if you want to do a reservation at that point.

by Tohka (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check 2017/8/18 19:51
Days 3-10 are 8 days and your pass will expire on day 9. I also feel day 9 will be too much train travel.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check 2017/8/18 21:09
Here some further advise for your consideration.

Day No. Date Schedule Night inc
Day 1 Sep-28 Departure Flight
Day 2 Sep-29 Arrival - Tokyo Narita (10:35am) Tokyo
Day 3 Sep-30 Tokyo-Nikko-Tokyo Tokyo

If you decide NOT to drop Nikko, then I would probably stay the first night in (or close to) Nikko rather than going first to Tokyo. Narita is closer to Nikko.
You seem to be staying at the end of your trip in Tokyo, which is fine. So maybe if you do Day 2 afternoon in Nikko and then Day 3 sightseeing in Nikko, you could then go on the evening on Day 3 directly from Nikko to Kyoto. The last train seems to leave at 19:03 from Nikko station and will arrive (2 changes later) at Kyoto at 23:17. I would probably take one connection earlier just in case, but as it gets dark very early in Japan you will be finished with sightseeing around 5 pm probably, so enough time to get to Kyoto. This would also give you the extra day you need to split out Day 9.

Day 9 Oct-06 Miyajima-Hiroshima-Kanazawa Kanazawa

Agree with previous posters that this day is too rushed.

Day 10 Oct-07 Kanazawa-Shirakawago Shirakawago
Day 11 Oct-08 Shirakawago-Takayama Takayama

I would probably stay at Takayama the night of the 10th so you have one change of hotel less. Shirakawago and Takayama are not very distant from each other. But check out the connections if you go by train/bus instead of rental car. I would advise rental car, because this will allow you to see the less visited Gassho villages in the valley, which are nicer than the main touristic spot.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check 2017/8/18 22:49
Thank you all for the great advice. Very much appreciated!!!
by Noam (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread