Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way to enjoy Kyoto in a day 2017/8/19 07:52
Hi all! My parents (middle aged) and we (3 young adults) will be touring around Kyoto in a day as a side trip from Osaka to Tokyo. We plan on arriving to Kyoto by train at 7am or earlier, and we have until 6pm before our flight to Tokyo at 8pm. We plan to visit these sights:
Fushimi Inari then Kinkakuji then Arashiyama and Tenryuji maybe including the monkey park, ending in Kiyomizudera+Yasaka Pagoda+Maruyama Park.

Please advise us on how we should go about with the routes? Is the plan I've posted good?

If you think its too much and too rushed, which of these would you recommend for us to miss?

Would it be better to go by train/taxi/bus (since there is 5 of us anyways) and is it recommended to buy a pass?

Are there any suggestions to make our itinerary better?

Thank you very much! Arigato gozaimasu!
by aika (guest)  

Re: Best way to enjoy Kyoto in a day 2017/8/19 10:14
Not realistic to do all.

Arashiyama sights you listed and Kinkajuki would be the best best.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to enjoy Kyoto in a day 2017/8/19 11:21
I agree with hakata14, your plan is too much for a day in Kyoto. It will probably fill at least 2 days. Now the hard question is what to skip. And everyone will have a different advise on this.

Fushimi Inari then Kinkakuji then Arashiyama and Tenryuji maybe including the monkey park, ending in Kiyomizudera+Yasaka Pagoda+Maruyama Park.

- think you can safely skip Kyomizudera as it is currently under renovation

Thus I would probably do:
- Ryoanji right in the early morning. It opens at 8 (or 8:30 depending on the month), be there right at the opening and head for the zen garden. It is best with little people around. It might be good to take a taxi from Kyoto station to Ryoanji, just because of your speedy travel style. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3909.html
- Kinkakuji: It is close by and you will be still quite early. There will already be crowds but Kinkakuji is wider and better to admire even with crowds
- Arashiyama (there is a small train line from the Kinkakuji area to Arashiyama, which in itself is a nice ride)
- If at the end of the day you see you are left with time, you can explore the sights close to Kyoto station. I would suggest Shoseien, a small garden.

If you want to get done as much as possible in the one day, taxi would be best, but you are 5... so you will need two taxis. At least I have never seen bigger taxis around.

You mention that you FLY to Tokyo. If you haven't booked yet the tickets, I would strongly suggest shinkansen instead. It will take less time overall. Maybe more expensive, depending if you got a discounted ticket, but the stations are centrally located, no check-in, no wait and if you miss the train you were aiming for you can take the next one. Just don't miss the last train, but that's after 21:00. So you have a full day in Kyoto and can even have dinner on the train (bento).

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to enjoy Kyoto in a day 2017/8/21 11:30
Too ambitious in my mind, but everyone one is different. Some people "collect spots" and take quick photos. Some people sit and enjoy. Even with crowds you can still enjoy. And why fly to Tokyo...you have to be at airport at least 2hours ahead, cutting it close an hour. It takes at least a half hour from Kyoto to KIX...maybe more. Your travel is during rush hour and it is cramped and you will have to probably stand, not good with five people and luggage. Shinkansen takes about 2.5 hours and a few months ago it was $135. you can bring your own beer and bento box with you which is a plus. .
But, it comes down to this...what do you are your group like....that determines any trip.

by FrankNJ rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to enjoy Kyoto in a day 2017/8/21 16:48
We plan on arriving to Kyoto by train at 7am or earlier, and we have until 6pm before our flight to Tokyo at 8pm.

There are three airports in Osaka region: Itami (Osaka international), Kobe and Kansai (KIX). You need to be at the check in counter 30 min before the departure. From Kyoto, it will take about 85 min to KIX, 80 min to Kobe and Itami.

As previous posters said, what is good depends on personal preference. I think Kyoto is the capital of Japanese cuisine, so I would go for a Kaiseki lunch at a decent restaurant. But it depends on your preference of course.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread