Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Last minute trip end of August 2017/8/21 12:19
Hi All

We will be embarking on a last minute trip to Tokyo from 30 Aug to 5 Sept. We are a group of 3 adults and 2 children (aged 5 and 7 years old). Normally, we enjoy planning for a trip but since it is so last minute, we would like to gather some feedback from fellow travelers here.

Our initial plan is to stay 4 nights in Yamanisha perfecture and the remaining nights in Chiba (somewhere near the airport since we have an early morning flight to catch on 5 Sept). We would like to base ourselves at a location with access to the following attractions without the need to move around too much.

1. Fruit picking
2. Countryside with natural sceneries - preferably not too crowded
3. Parks with open space and wild flowers
4. Private Onsen for rental
5. Beer breweries (optional)

Other than Yamanisha, is there a better option for the above attractions?

For the last 2 nights, other than Chiba, is there somewhere with similar local attractions as listed above where we can base ourselves?

Thank you so much for your kind attention.
y0ngy0ng
by y0ngy0ng  

Re: Last minute trip end of August 2017/8/21 13:02
A generic question the OP might be able to answer - not saying you shouldn't do it, but I've come across one other person that wanted to do this:

What is this weird fascination with fruit picking? Why volunteer to be slave labour for someone (if you're doing it properly) - it's not like you can eat lots or take lots to your home country. Maybe because it was summer work for me when I was young - but I got paid to do it.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Last minute trip end of August 2017/8/21 14:01
Please feel free to suggest any other educational activities which you think would be suitable for children below 8 years old.
by y0ngy0ng rate this post as useful

Re: Last minute trip end of August 2017/8/21 16:14
Sorry, do you mean Yamanashi prefecture? Are you wanting to stay near Mt. Fuji? If you would like to enjoy views of Mt. Fuji and also onsen, Kawaguchiko would be the best place to stay. Here is a list of onsen in that area to start with:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6902.html

You could also rent a private onsen near the airport in Chiba before you fly out: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6409.html

You can try this website for fruit picking in Yamanashi. At the end of August, grapes and peaches will be in season.

http://www.yamanashi-kankou.jp/umaiinet/facility/index.html
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Last minute trip end of August 2017/8/21 19:59
Around Chiba (I think it is already Ibaraki, but very close to Narita), there is Kasumigaura Bay, a very big lake with a relaxed atmosphere. You can cycle around it. Here you can find information on the cycle trip:
http://www.pref.ibaraki.jp/doboku/urado/doni/05roadmap.html (sorry Japanese only, but just have look at the map).

And here some pictures I took in that region: http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.jp/2016/10/toride-to-kasumigaura-sa...

I also very much enjoyed Katori Jinja and Sawara. Sawara is a very lovely small, idyllic Japanese town. And very much unknown. So if you are looking for interesting things to do around Narita airport, there you can fill probably already 2 days.
Plus in Narita is a famous temple and also not too far a open air museum. I haven't gone there yet, but I think it would be enjoyable for children and educational.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Last minute trip end of August 2017/8/22 11:39
Thank you Gigi and LikeBike for your recommendations.
by y0ngy0ng rate this post as useful

Re: Last minute trip end of August 2017/8/22 14:32
—JapanCustomTours
What is wrong with fruit picking? Maybe you are mixing up content of the trip.

There are enough farms where you can pick fruit and eat, most of the time all you can eat. I also did with my daughter. This time grape season is here in Japan. It is fun for the children.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Last minute trip end of August 2017/8/22 18:10
I was curious. I did this as a job/work when I was younger (it was work), so I have no interest in doing it now (unless it was a pick-your-own kind of deal), but I see different people wanting to do it so I was interested in the motivation. The OP listed it as something educational for an 8yo.

It still strikes me as an odd thing to come to japan to do.

Re: Last minute trip end of August 2017/8/22 18:14
And to follow up on the curious theme - as an example - I recently heard a group of Aussies at Fushimi Inari planning a trip to Kobe as I walked past them. I actually went back to ask why they wanted to go to Kobe. The Kawasaki museum, architecture, earthquake exhibits or ropeway? No, they heard there was a good hiking trail somewhere. They spent extra time in Kyoto.

Always useful to ask questions, and in this case, I've learned a little more - hence reading forum questions and answering some.

Re: Last minute trip end of August 2017/8/22 22:15
Well, talking about odd destinations, my nephew absolutely wanted to go an see a crematory in Nagoya. His girlfriend talked him out of it, so he now plans to stay longer in Japan to get to see the crematory once she has returned home.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread