Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drift Ice Cruise in Hokkaido 2018/12/6 08:12
Hi. I'll be in Hokkaido end of January to 1st week of February and was wondering about the drift ice cruise in Abashiri. Online reviews are quite mixed. Would like to know if anyone here has done the cruise before? Am I too early for the season? Is it worth the long travel from Sapporo?
Thank you!
by Andrea (guest)  

Re: Drift Ice Cruise in Hokkaido 2018/12/6 12:42
It all depends on the weather. No drift ice when we went on 9th February 2016. There was a bucket of drift ice collected from 3rd February on the cruise boat. Then the entire sea was covered with drift ice when my friends went about a week to ten days later than us.
by CDY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Drift Ice Cruise in Hokkaido 2018/12/6 23:52

I was there 8th Feb 2010. The drift ice was there and no issue getting the tickets on the spot for the afternoon cruise. 2019 could be different, it is wise to check before you go.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Drift Ice Cruise in Hokkaido 2018/12/7 07:47
Thanks for the feedback. It is better not to purchase tickets ahead of time then. I do hope it's better next year.
by Andrea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Drift Ice Cruise in Hokkaido 2018/12/7 08:58

Monbetsu is another option for drift ice:
https://japan-magazine.jnto.go.jp/en/1411_driftice.html
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Drift Ice Cruise in Hokkaido 2018/12/8 14:26
Thanks! Will look into Monbetsu as well.
by Andrea (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread