Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Prepaid Data only sim card for tourists 2019/6/9 09:53
Hello Everyone

In September, I will be taking a 2 week trip to Japan (10 days Osaka, 4 days Tokyo). I will also be planning to making day trips from Osaka (Nara, Kobe, Kyoto, maybe one more city). I have found these two prepaid data only sim cards. What do you all think? For the first seven days in Osaka, my Airbnb offers a pocket WIFI to use. Based on these prices, I am leaning towards either the 5GB for 10 days or 7GB for 21 days from B-mobile.

Does anyone have any other recommendations in terms of price + data or does anyone have any experience using the B-mobile visitor's sim?

Thanks for your help
William
by William (guest)  

Re: Prepaid Data only sim card for tourists 2019/6/9 16:45
Hi, William. I'm a Japanese working in Tokyo for over a decade.

Let me answer to your question.

>Does anyone have any other recommendations in terms of price + data

To compare those two keys, how about taking a glance at a (almost) comprehensive list of prepaid SIM cards available in Japan?

A Carefully Selected List of Prepaid SIM Cards Available in Japan
https://prepaidsim.visitjapanplaces.com/prepaidsim

This list contains B-mobile so that you can compare more logically.

There's one more thing to be checked.
These are many Pros and Cons between data only SIM cards and pocket WiFi routers.

And, if you have some spare time to research, I will recommend you to which device would be better for your travel style.

This kind of article might help you some.

Prepaid SIM or Pocket WiFi? Try Easy Checker for Your Best Internet Connection in Your Japan Travel
https://pocketwifi.me/network/531

Hope you'll have a wonderful experience in Japan.
by Gatigati rate this post as useful

Re: Prepaid Data only sim card for tourists 2019/6/14 19:07
Get the prepaid sim cards, pocket wifi runs out so much faster. And sim data is faster as connectivity is amazing in japan.
by bluesky3000 rate this post as useful

Re: Prepaid Data only sim card for tourists 2019/6/16 23:13
I actually was also curious about data sims, i have done allot of research all over, seems allot of tourists recommend the U Mobile data sim,i think it gives u 200mb per day for eithet 7 days or 15 days, and u can get them in vending machines at the airports and some spots in Tokyo, so for me when i visit in november i will most prob get the 15 day sim card.
by Frankie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Prepaid Data only sim card for tourists 2019/7/9 15:23
Hello William,

Data SIM Cards allow you to access high-speed internet using your cell phone. The only thing is that you can't make or receive phone calls, but you can use Skype or Whatsapp for it.

On the one hand, before making your trip, you must make sure that your phone is unlocked and therefore able to use international carriers. Locked phones, those locked to a specific carrier, won't operate with international SIM cards.

On the other hand, you are not required to return your SIM card. You can keep it for a future trip to Japan, as it doesn't work outside of Japan.

About prices, for $44.00 you can rent a SIM card for 15 days. More information: https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/internet-access-japan#Buying_a_Data_SIM...
by Toby Hagen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread