Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chronic hepatitis C and employer reaction 2021/7/25 19:04
Hi, question about annual employee check .I am working as an assistant teacher .My company asked me to do annual health check .The thing is I am hepatitis C positive, it's chronic now.As per doctor there is no treatment required , just to monitor it and check it every year , and that is what I am doing for the past 5 years .My doctor said I am not dangerous to the society and I am just a carrier.
What I am afraid of, if my employer find out it , is that a big deal in Japan? Should I be worried? Will I do the test for hepa C as a part of the medical tests ? The employer just offered me a contract and I am worry that they might reject me once they find out .
by Maria (guest)  

Re: Chronic hepatitis C and employer reaction 2021/7/26 11:28
From what I know, many companies don't do a health check. Japan has a national health insurance program that your company would automatically enroll you into, unless you object and buy private health insurance.

Also, isn't there a treatment for hepatitis C? I thought you could take some pills for it, though it appears to be very expensive.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Chronic hepatitis C and employer reaction 2021/7/26 12:38
As far as I know, a decent employer in Japan would offer annual health checks free of charge. It is the employer's duty to look after the employee's health to see to it that the employees work in an environment healthy enough to meet their needs.

I don't have firsthand experience concerning contracts and health issues, but there is a lot of official reference on the Japanese internet explaining how workers and employees can deal with hepatitis C. If any problems should occur between you and your employer, you can turn to free consulting services that your local city hall in Japan would typically be able to guide you to.

Meanwhile, here are some references in Japanese language.
http://kanen3.med.u-tokai.ac.jp/pdf/%E8%82%9D%E7%96%BE%E6%82%A3%E3%82%...

http://kanen3.med.u-tokai.ac.jp/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Chronic hepatitis C and employer reaction 2021/7/26 14:07
"I am working as an assistant teacher."
an assistant teacher of whom ?
if you are saying an assistant teacher of public school or any similar ones (i.e. the targets are young), in general, you have to inform your disease to your employer.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Chronic hepatitis C and employer reaction 2021/7/26 16:01
Are you working for a Japanese company already or are you planning to work for a Japanese company in the future?

Your post is a bit confusing.

If you already work for a Japanese company, then yes there are annual health checks. However, depending on the company, they may not be so tight on compliance. In various companies, if you are a foreigner, they don't really care about yearly checks or if you skip a few of th. It can be more voluntary.

It can also depend on who you are going through for health insurance. If you are using private health insurance, they may leave that to those persons to get their own yearly health check versus if you are using the company plan.

If you are referring to being a new hire and are a foreigner, they may not do a pre-hire health check. However, they might ask if you have any pre existing health conditions that might prevent you from doing the job. The new hire is usually enrolled in the health plans presented by the company.

However, in these coronavirus times, companies might be getting more strict. Also, since hepatitis C appears treatable, you might consider that route, when possible.

Re: Chronic hepatitis C and employer reaction 2021/7/31 19:54
You should know that at least for now, the government is providing subsidies for HCV treatment.
You really should get the HCV DAA treatment, as it will have a >95% cure rate and reduce your risk of future complications such as liver failure or liver cancer.
If you are working full time in Japan, you should also have access to the program.
I suggest you go see another doctor, such as a hepatologist, to seek HCV treatment.
Even if you feel the subsidy application is too complex (it is not), you can still use insurance to treat yourself.
Many doctors will not offer the best available treatments to patients here unless you find the right doctor or show them you have knowledge (they cannot refuse treatment if you show them knowledge, but they can refuse to tell you the best available course of treatment), especially when they feel that the patient is not proper for the society (e.g. patients on welfare, etc.), so it is important to educate yourself.
by dddd (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Chronic hepatitis C and employer reaction 2021/7/31 19:59
Hi, I've made a mistake ,I meant chronic hepatitis B ,which is not treatable anymore .
by I was the one posted the question . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Chronic hepatitis C and employer reaction 2021/8/1 03:22
"Hi, I've made a mistake ,I meant chronic hepatitis B ,which is not treatable anymore."

As the other poster recommended, hopefully you have seen other doctors about other possible options.
There are treatments for chronic Hepatitis B also. For example, oral treatments like tenofovir or entecavir.

Re: Chronic hepatitis C and employer reaction 2021/8/1 23:19
Hepatitis B is not curable it is normally something the patient has to live with, there are treatments to manage symptoms but no cure, which is why I believe the OP is worried, they said it was chronic and untreatable (I think they meant it can't be cured)

My health check in Japan, the hepatitis part was an optional add on. It completely depends on your employer and what they want checked and covered in their program.
But if they ask you of any known illnesses you should tell them.

by Guest San (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread