Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Attitudes to a lone European in Japan? 2022/8/31 17:50
Hello,

I will be arriving in Japan (Kyushu) for four weeks at the end of October with my Japanese wife and our two year old boy. It will be our first time in Japan since late 2019. The purpose of the trip is for my wife to see her family and friends and for them to meet our son.

On previous visits to Japan, I have enjoyed some time to myself with a day here or there sightseeing while my wife has been seeing friends. I've travelled by train and plane.

My fear is that this time I will not be welcome in eating places, shops, tourist spots etc. Will I be stopped and questioned by police or railway staff?

I'm in a odd spot of in effect being a tourist (and at times a lone unguided one), whilst my main reason for being in Japan is to see family. Perhaps people will maybe just assume I'm an English teacher resident in the country. Or is it even uncomfortable for resident foreigners to move around the country alone by public transport?

Thanks for any replies

Phil
by harkins  

Re: Attitudes to a lone European in Japan? 2022/8/31 18:39
I am a somewhat lone European living and traveling in Japan. The behavior of people here has generally changed since the beginning of the pandemic, but I have not noticed any changes in their behavior towards me as a visible foreigner nor have I ever been stopped by anybody. I recommend you not to worry about it.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Attitudes to a lone European in Japan? 2022/8/31 23:49
To be honest - you're more likely to be stopped by railway staff in Kyushu to see if you need any help than for any erroneous reason.

Rules and regulations are also changing quickly in Japan - so no-one has any idea what to happen in October on the tourist front.

All I'll say is enjoy are smaller crowds and have fun!

My western friends who live in Japan (and have travelled as well) have not mentioned anything negative in this regard.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Attitudes to a lone European in Japan? 2022/9/1 07:53
You are massively over thinking things. Most likely people will stop you to offer help, not to cause you problems.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Attitudes to a lone European in Japan? 2022/9/1 12:22
I am living in Tokyo and donft really experience a difference in how I am treated now as compared to pre Covid. Maybe some people THINK that I shouldnft be here. But o havenft had any strange questions or been denied entry.
At the moment I think most people assume you are a resident.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Attitudes to a lone European in Japan? 2022/9/6 23:20
Hi everyone,

Sorry for not getting back earlier, but thank you all for your replies.

I feel better now about the prospect of travelling alone during my stay and will start to make some plans. I will probably ask my wife to write me a note explaining my circumstances, just in case anyone does ever ask.
by harkins rate this post as useful

Re: Attitudes to a lone European in Japan? 2022/9/7 00:21
Could you wife write a note for some of us to visit Japan??

I hope you have a fantastic time - and some of us are so envious!

Re: Attitudes to a lone European in Japan? 2022/9/7 17:56
If only travel to Japan could start again without the restrictions. I will ask my wife to write a letter to Kishida san.

It looks as if the JR Pass is still available to buy. A seven day one might suit me well for what I am thinking of doing, but I can't help feel that a JR Pass would be an odd thing to be using in the current situation. I bet they don't sell many now! I wonder if that would raise some eyebrows at the ticket gates.

Re: Attitudes to a lone European in Japan? 2022/9/7 23:24
No it won't as it was made available to foreigner's living in Japan during the pandemic

Re: Attitudes to a lone European in Japan? 2022/9/8 00:19
Really?! That was good of them. They're still incredible value and wonderfully flexible.

reply to this thread