Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bus and train services Japan 2022/10/25 21:41
Hello, it's me, Marc.

I have an unusual question about bus and train transport in Japan (Tokyo and other cities).
I'm writing a paper on it and would appreciate as many messages as possible.

My question:
Were any of you frequently in Japan in the 1970s-1980s-1990s and travelled by bus and train?
Did the bus and train drivers always announce the stops before the buses and trains automatically announced the stops?

Can anyone remember this time?

I am looking forward

Many greetings

Marc
by marc224  

Re: Bus and train services Japan 2022/10/26 06:13
This will be vague as the question was vague on specifics.

But automatic announcements didn't really kick in until the late 80s up to the 90s. So yes the staff did manual announcements.

Even today, there are still some companies or services that are so small that they do not have auto announcements. They are still doing manual voice announcements.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bus and train services Japan 2022/10/26 07:47
Were any of you frequently in Japan in the 1970s-1980s-1990s and travelled by bus and train?

Yes, I've always lived here in Japan, apart from 1969-73.

Did the bus and train drivers always announce the stops before the buses and trains automatically announced the stops?

Basically yes for trains, but sometimes it can be a little after the automatic announcement. For buses, well, not accurately always, but more accurately so now than it was in the 70s. And just like trains, it could often be after the automatic announcement.

You probably know that in the 1960s, there was a conductor on each bus. When I came back to Japan in 1973, almost every bus had become "one-man" operated. And I think the drivers were just getting used to it back then. Meanwhile, trains have always had a conductor on the other end of the train, even now, and one of the conductor's jobs is to announce the stops.

I don't know how serious your paper is, but I'm sure you're aware that anonymous posts like this one can be used only as reference. For accuracy, you need to do a more official research.

I hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread