Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Paxlovid availability in Japan if tourists 2023/1/8 08:49
Anyone living now in Japan tell us if Paxlovid is available if one tests positive (the vulnerable population) ?

Is this being used in Japan now like it is in the US?
by rinshin  

Re: Paxlovid availability in Japan if tourists 2023/1/8 11:38
I am not familiar with how it is used in the US.

At least this Paxlovid has been approved for use in Japan by MHLW (Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare) of Japan early last year, but it is not freely distributed. MHLW seems to have a list of designated clinics/hospitals only to which they will release the available stock of this medication for use with inpatients and outpatients if these patients meet certain criteria. (This seems to be due to unstable supply of this medication.)

Currently if I (a local resident, under 60 and not particularly vulnerable) am found to be positive, the health authorities would just tell me to isolate myself at home, rest, take medications against fever and other symptoms for a certain number of days and wait to see if we recover.

I cannot find the list of medical clinics/hospitals that hold such stock - I imagine that priority might be given to those that are affiliated with senior homes. But not even easy to find out how it is done.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Paxlovid availability in Japan if tourists 2023/1/10 07:10
Thank you AK. We are concerned with coming down with covid when we are there.
by rinshin rate this post as useful

Re: Paxlovid availability in Japan if tourists 2023/11/6 07:02
My friend recently went to Japan and contracted COVID-19 in Tokyo. She's travelling with an elderly. Her symptoms were mild, but she was worried about the elder. She was advised that anti-virals won't be supplied to the elder unless her condition worsened that she required hospitalization. Since paxlovid is a medication for milder conditions to be taken before condition worsens, I would err to say it isn't available for tourists.
by Loki (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread