Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Thoughts on Morioka 2023/3/27 21:41
Hi,

We are thinking to go from Osaka to Hokkaido and stay for a couple of days somewhere in between.

We have stayed at Sendai a couple of times, hence wanting to try somewhere new

We are thinking Morioka, a good 5 hours train from Osaka. Has anyone been there ? Would you recommend it?

(Another option is Aomori, but from the photos, it seems Morioka locks nicer with Mt Iwate as a backdrop)

by TaberuPeko  

Re: Thoughts on Morioka 2023/3/28 17:22
Morioka is the capital city of iwate prefecture
JR east iwate holiday pass =2500 yen
Iwate ken kotsu bus pass 1 day =1000 yen
Iwate ken poku bus 7 day =4800 yen
by Redcliff (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on Morioka 2023/3/28 18:03
I have always loved Morioka for some reason, but I was never of the impression that the city has a lot to offer to tourists. It could be due to my lack of research, but I just don't know of many interesting things to do in the city besides eating noodles. It can be a good base though.

Needless to say: I was rather surprised by the recent NY Times article.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on Morioka 2023/3/28 19:36
I spent 1 night in Morioka and then cycled away from there. I did not think that it was an interesting city. What about Hiraizumi or an onsen ryokan stay in Nyuto onsen?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on Morioka 2023/3/28 19:47
I haven't been but I'm looking at visiting Morioka during my October trip.
From my research, it seems like a pleasant but unspectacular city but around it you have Nyuto Onsen, the beautiful Hachimantai region, Kaukodate and 1h20m by car to the East, Jodogahama Beach.
So, it seems a great base for the region.
by Denis C rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on Morioka 2023/3/28 23:53
Near the station, there is mainly Morioka Castle, Nanshoso, etc. Some sites are further out, but overall it doesn't have many attractions. Most of its sites are here:
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Morioka

But as a base, it is a good city. There is a direct bus to Ryusendo Cave, and I think they also have direct buses to Hachimantai.

By train, you can access Hiraizumi, Ichinoseki, Hanamaki, and most of Iwate Prefecture from Morioka as a base, as well as much of Akita Prefecture and eastern Aomori Prefecture.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on Morioka 2023/3/29 01:43
Yeah, I have to concur. I stayed there overnight but found little of interest. It's a good bullet train station to get off and rent a car for some other places.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on Morioka 2023/3/29 02:15
As others have mentioned, Morioka is a good base for the local area but it is rather uninspiring. My trip which was half walking, half driving can be seen below:

https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-3268

I also concur the getting off at Ichinoseki and visiting Hiraizumi

https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1019

From memory - this town is rather spread out and I remember hiring a bike to get around quicker.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread