Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Wifi/data question 2023/6/20 09:51
Ok, so we have a locked T-Mobile plan. Our plan is to get the international pass through tmobile(these are iPhones). We also plan on getting a pocket Wi-Fi when in Japan. Am I missing something or should I be good to use google maps etc to get Ubers/taxis with the international pass and pocket Wi-Fi on our locked phone?

My understanding is that a locked phone you canft do anything, but Ifm hoping getting tmobiles international pass bypasses that hopefully?
by Cookson (guest)  

Re: Wifi/data question 2023/6/21 11:36
what is "international pass" ?
if you use a pocket WiFi apparatus, it works as an intermediator.
when a pocket wifi is from docomo,
your phone catches pocket wifi's waves. a pocket wifi catches docomo's waves. then, you can connect with internet. the speed may vary depending on the pocket wifi.

locked means it is SIM-locked. you only can use T-mobile SIM.
when you use a personal computer in home, how do you connect with internet ?
in Japan, it is common that people introduce optical fiber network in home and they use a router to connect many apparatuses. they connect their phones through a router with internet, when they are in home. to connect with wifi, SIM is unnecessary.

to confirm it, you remove your SIM and bring your phone at a free-wife place, it should work. but, you can't call (it is a function of SIM) and you can't use it(as data) when you are out of free-wife area.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi/data question 2023/6/21 11:36
If your phone is locked, you can only use it in the region that it's locked to. I'm not sure what kind of plan that T-mobile is trying to offer you to use it overseas, but that seems like unnecessary money being spent just to be able to use data.

From my understanding, if you have an unlocked phone, you can just use the wifi device as I've done before and use your data all you want with the device without being charged by your current country's provider. Just a tip as well, if you don't use an international plan from your provider and plan on just using a wifi device, make sure your phone is ALWAYS in airplane mode while overseas and that you ONLY connect through wifi and not using your data.

I've had an issue in the past where I accidentally still had my data on from overseas and I got hit with huge amounts of money due to the data I was using.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi/data question 2023/6/21 12:40
Well the problem is it is a locked phone through T-Mobile. I think the best thing to get is their 10 day international pass so I can use google maps etc when needed and get the pocket wifi as well. The international pass through t mobile is $35 so thatfs not a big deal. Ifm just curious if anyone has gone this route.

I canft just get a SIM card since itfs lockedc so thatfs why Ifm exploring these other options.
by Matt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi/data question 2023/6/22 00:15
If you are already getting pocket wifi and plan on carrying it in your bag at all times (they are very small so easy enough) then you shouldn't really need to pay for any T-Mobile extras. I've relied on pocket wifi only plenty of times for much longer than 10 days. No issues with reception, speed, etc. Is there a specific reason you were planning on getting T-Mobile's international plan in addition to pocket wifi? $35 isn't much but it is very likely $35 you don't need to spend. Use it to upgrade to green car in Japan or something.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi/data question 2023/6/22 02:03
Hi Liz. Will the pocket Wi-Fi work on a locked phone though? Essentially the international pass would unlock it so where I can then use the pocket Wi-Fi. It will the pocket Wi-Fi allow me to use a locked phone anyway?
by Matt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi/data question 2023/6/22 06:41
Pocket wifi is literally just a personal portable wifi hotspot. If your phone (or laptop, or camera, or Nintendo Switch) has wifi capabilities it can connect to a pocket wifi regardless of whether or not it is locked.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi/data question 2023/6/22 15:45
wifi is a function of the instrument itself. no relation to lock.
what you say "lock" is "sim-lock". you can use only t-mobile sim.

your phone -- sim -- internet , T-mobile only. (if you buy a sim, which works in Japan, it does not work with your phone.)

your phone (wifi function) -- a router (pocket wifi) -- internet. a router intermediates between them. any providers are OK.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread