Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

NTT Docomo internet service 2023/7/4 10:48
It seems to me that whenever you move to a new place, even though it is already equipped with a fiber optic line (from NTT Docomo, on top of that), they must send a technician over to check the line and charge you a 19,800 yen 'activation' fee. Is this correct? Isn't this a rip-off?

They told me the earliest a tech can come over is 2 weeks from now. This is for 10 Gig service. So I asked what about 1 Gig service? They said they might be able to activate it online but I have to buy a router from them and that will take time to send to me. The earliest date I can get it is - you guessed it - beyond 2 weeks from now.

Everything sounds so fishy to me . . .
by Dan291  

Re: NTT Docomo internet service 2023/7/4 22:22
in optical fiber system, ONU is necessary.
(optical fiber cable) - ONU - (Lan cable) - router - (wifi or Lan cable)
ONU is not sold commercially. you can't do anything by yourself.

docomo : internet service provider. you can choose other providers.
NTT : the owner of optical fiber network (physical). a technician will come from NTT.

in general, optical fiber networks to ONU is a rental. they will come to repair it, when it broken, with no charge.
if you borrow a router additionally, they will help you until you can connect your devices to internet with no charge.
if you don't borrow their router, you must do it by yourself (after they connect ONU to their network).
can you do that by yourself ?
do you have a router right now ? can you make router setting by yourself ?
whether the cost is expensive or not depends on your knowledge.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: NTT Docomo internet service 2023/7/7 11:30
It seems to me what NTT Docomo is doing is if you don't have a fiber optic line installed, they will charge you 19,800 yen to install it. But if you already have a line installed, they will say the line needs to be checked and 'activated' and they will still charge you 19,800 yen.

For those of you who plan to use portable WIFI units, all of them is Japan have horrible speed. Japan Wireless advertises that their Premium portable units have speed up to 187 MBPS but I have never seen anything >15 MBPS right now. In the evening, it drops down to 1 MBPS or less, which is useless for streaming. I have tried all the portable WIFI units (Sakura Mobile, etc.) and they all have the same problem. The portable WIFI providers will tell you it is due to traffic from other people using the internet, particularly in the evening. They say it is particularly bad due to all the foreigners that are now in Japan.

NTT Docomo knows this and they know people are desperate to install hard wire internet to their homes and are overcharging for services, if you ask me.
by Dan291 rate this post as useful

Re: NTT Docomo internet service 2023/7/8 09:24
moving, 引っ越し, about optical fiber of NTT docomo is. (the NTT docomo users change their houses.)
in case of 戸建, house,
between the same NTT company : 9900 yen.
move to the different NTT company : 19800 yen.
no service man : 2200 yen.

have you moved to the faraway place, like from Tokyo to Osaka ?

when you are a new user, in general, its cost is free by their campaigns, (in many cases, it is not free, the payment is pending. or, they may take disconnecting fee or penalty for early braking of the contract.)

it seems that you don't know the whole system itself. but you accuse them, although you are ignorant.  it is shameful.

don't worry. in Japan, the company will not take the extra money from you, because that you are ignorant.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread