Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Filming in public japan? 2023/7/19 01:07
I was just wondering if i could film in yodobashi camera or arcade centres in japan legally?
by Benjamin Suzuki (guest)  

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/19 09:34
If the purpose is for personal use, it seems that you can shoot inside the Yodobashi Camera store.
https://www.yodobashi.com/ec/support/beginner/freewifi/index.html
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/20 11:01
The basic rule of thumb is, if you're in public, you can legally film things. It's the same idea that you can't "trespass someone's eyes" with the same rule as a camera. When you're in a private place or building, that's different.

I've seen many many people filming in Japan before in public places, especially game centers and stuff, so if you're really worried about it, just check the law on it, though I do believe it's completely fine if it's public.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/20 13:28
probably, the word definition of "public, 公共の場" may differ between Japanese and English.
game centers are not considered as public in Japan.
also, yodobashi camera is not public area.

肖像権は自分の顔や姿態をみだりに「撮影」や「公表」などされない権利です。 そのため、無断で顔写真を撮影する行為や、撮影したものをネット上で公開する行為は肖像権の侵害行為になり得ます。

essentially, you can't take photos of others and other's properties without permission.

by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/21 01:02
I agree with Ken. Just because you've "seen many many people filming in Japan before in public places", that doesn't mean it's allowed or that it's not frowned upon. Ordinary people in Japan would cover faces in their footage/image if they're uploading them on the internet. And if you're filming for TV or a movie, that's a whole different story.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/21 01:29
In Japan the general understanding in any retail premises is that basically unless you see a sight that explicitly states that photography is allowed, it probably isn’t allowed and that you should ask a member of staff if you really want to take pictures.

I can’t speak for all game centres but can definitely say still or motion picture photography is definitely not allowed in some. Exceptions are made for people taking pictures of their high scores but that is about it. Again, ask a member of staff.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/21 07:03
In a store is not a public place, so the store rules apply.
The law for filming or photographing in public is tricky as it is not entirely clear when it comes to capturing people. Partly because people have the right to not be filmed unless the person has something like a permit or permission, even if it is for personal use. I tried to explain that to someone that was filming me - they had a pro camera set up and their claim it was for "personal" use was not convincing, but essentially they were filming illegally.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/21 09:01
For the sake of the privacy of the staff and other customers it is generally not allowed to photograph in shops. Photos for private, sightseeing purposes may be allowed in some places. Rules for filming are even stricter.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/21 11:00
There seem to be a lot of people in this thread that don't understand how filming in public works. If you're in a PUBLIC place, you can legally film. It's the same principal for your eyes, whatever your eyes can see in public, you can film. Now, once you enter a place that is NOT public, then whatever policy they have would apply.

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/21 12:07
If you're in a PUBLIC place, you can legally film.

If it's truly public, it's legal to film, but it may not be legal to use that film for certain purposes. But the definition of "public" is tricky, and the definition of "allowed" is tricky. - is what most posters on this thread are saying.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/22 07:24
@Tom - I recommend you look into the actual Japanese law on this topic. What you say might be a common "understanding" but misrepresents the issue.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/22 11:25
taking photos itself may happen nothing. but, if someone, whom you take a photo, may sue you under the law violation of 肖像権, you may fail, because you were against the law.
if you watch TV news shows carefully, they always keep attentions not to identify people by making blur or taking photos with no faces.
even when you get a permission to take, your permission are still restricted.
for example, when yodobashi camera permits taking photos, it does not mean you can take photos freely. you can't take photos of other persons there.

I think there are similar laws in other civilized countries. probably, Tom does not know it.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Filming in public japan? 2023/7/24 10:35
@Japancustoms

You can check out Article 21. The Japanese constitution literally says that you can film in public places as they define it as a "freedom of expression".

In Japan, there seems to be a lot of people with the misconception of "I don't like you doing it, so therefore I think it's not legal" mentality. Just because someone doesn't like it or makes them uncomfortable, it doesn't make it necessary illegal.

It's the same principal as I mentioned before that you can't trespass someone's eyes in a public place. There are people with a photographic memory that can remember every last detail of things. Are you going to trespass that person because they have that ability?

If you can see something from public, you can record it. It's on the burden of the person or business to cover up anything they don't want seen from public view. Once you go into a private building or area, then the law is different and you have your right to privacy of course. It's definitely a tricky area, but the law would dictate that you have you right to freedom of expression in public.

reply to this thread