Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

History on Ohashi last name? 2023/9/16 16:52
Hello, So I need help on my familyfs last name(Ohashi) and the history or clan it belonged too. My great/great grandfather was born in Shiga, Japan. I believe my family were samurai in the medieval ages but I canft pinpoint what clan we fought under.

Thank you to everyone that helps :)
by yuki (guest)  

Re: History on Ohashi last name? 2023/9/17 20:34
How far have you actually researched? Do you have a "kakeizu" (family tree chart) that is carried down in your family? Did you visit the temple your family grave is/was being cared by? What is the kanji of your the family name?

I'm afraid no Japanese person can pinpoint clans or family history unless the story is carried down in the family. Also, it's not unusual to have a new family name at some point. For example, let's say there was a samurai in the 16th century whose family name was ABC. But his next generation could have a new family name DEF. Another thing, if I may add, is that since the samurai was considered the top of the caste, a lot of people prefer to say that their ancestors were samurai when they actually engaged in something more peaceful. And from the 17th century on, the samurai didn't fight anyway.

So, stories that people tell, documents in your family, city hall and temple should provide you clues.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread