Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Does whole table need to do course menu? 2023/10/4 15:57
If a restaurant offers both a course menu (multiple courses) and single item (a la carte menu), can one person order the course, and the other order a single item (ie. entree). This is not about 2 people sharing one person's portion which I understand is frowned upon in Japan. More about one choosing multi-course and one order entree separately.

I'm specifically looking at this restaurant. It didn't say minimum two people for course menu, but not sure if it's implied. Thank you for any guidance!

https://www.yakinikuhana.com/menu/

by Neru (guest)  

Re: Does whole table need to do course menu? 2023/10/4 18:13
If it says minimum 2 people for course menu then yes both need to eat the course menu. Actually normally if you go for course menu the entire table needs to take it. You can order additionally side dishes.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Does whole table need to do course menu? 2023/10/4 19:01
Yes, you can do that, but yakiniku is typically eaten not per person but per group, especially because the group would be sharing one grill.

Let me show you what I mean. Let's say you go to a yakiniku restaurant as a group of 3 people. The 3 people would discuss what to order, and a lot of the time, the group would order something like 2 courses and 1 singular dish (tan-pin-ryori 単品料理). Or even 1 course and 2 dishes. The point is that you should order at least 1 order per person.

Then, when your order comes to the table, you grill them on 1 grill. Photos below confirms that there is only 1 circular metal grill per table for everybody to share.
https://www.yakinikuhana.com/in-store-scenery/

You don't say things like, "Hey, that's my piece of meat. Don't you eat it." You're sharing the grill and everything on that grill is for everybody. Then you split the bill. Of course, you might often say, "You didn't eat much, so you only need to pay so and so." Or "I ordered more beers, so I need to pay so and so."

So, basically, yakiniku is a sharing culture. In any case, whatever restaurant or cafe you go to, the point is to make at least one order per person.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Does whole table need to do course menu? 2023/10/5 15:31
Thank you so much! Very helpful
by Neru (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread