Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Boarding taxi while in Kimono? 2023/10/5 09:42
Hi everyone,

Me and my parents will finally be travelling to Kyoto next month. We are planning to rent Kimono near Kiyomizu dera and return it the next day.
May I know if it is feasible and okay to board a taxi for three persons while wearing the kimono?
Thank you so much for your kind response.
by Lonnie (guest)  

Re: Boarding taxi while in Kimono? 2023/10/5 18:07
So two people in the back seat and one in the front, right? Sure, shouldn't be a problem. Kimono tend to be a little bulkier than modern Western-style clothes, but not by a huge margin. As for it being "OK," yeah, it's fine. There's no societal or cultural rule against riding in a cab while wearing kimono.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Boarding taxi while in Kimono? 2023/10/5 19:34
Yes, no problem. You can also ride the train or bus in kimono. Some Japanese people do that when going to some events. And youfll see definitely every now and then in Kyoto women in kimono in the train/bus.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Boarding taxi while in Kimono? 2023/10/5 21:49
I don't even understand why you're asking this question.

On a related note, however, you are encouraged not to drive while wearing kimono, because there is a lot of cloth that can restrict you from safe driving. Same thing with slippers. Some prefectures have by-laws against it.

Again, no problem about boarding taxi as a customer.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread