Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 32

1 2
next

How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/6 08:26
Ifm planning a trip to Japan from 27th December to 5th January. Planning to visit Kyoto, Kanazawa, Shirakawago and Takayama.

I understand some sights will be closed during this period. But how hard is it to find food during this period? Ifm travelling with 3 young children.
by Malt1168  

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/6 10:23
With 3 children I think you are not looking for fancy expensive restaurants which tend to close new year holidays (from 29th Dec to 3rd Jan). But convenience stores are open thoughout the year and nation wide fast food chain such as Sukiya will also open throughout the year. Hotel restaurants and some of the station mall restaurants are open. All in all you don't need to worry except for Shirakawago.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/6 11:30
I am just curious about your question as it's kind of broad. When you ask if it's difficult to find food around this time, what kind of food are you talking about? If you mean typical food that people eat like KFC around this time of year, you'd probably want to make a reservation for it. Otherwise, you can easily get food at convenience stores or the grocery stores.

Personally speaking, you'll save a lot more money and get way more options at the grocery stores anyway. Even better if you're able to cook your own food wherever you might be staying.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/6 11:51
Very easy to find food.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/6 12:08
If your family want to celebrate something and have good dinner, you might have difficult times. This occured to me some 20 years ago in Kagoshima city, 31st Dec. I thought some nice restaurants are open, but in fact most were closed for the new year holodays, and some hotel restaurants were booked full. At the end we found a hotel restaurant though.

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/7 17:43
Thank you guys for your responses. I know 7-11s and FanilyMarts will be open along with fast food outlets - and thatfs great in a pinch.

But I guess to be more specific, I guess my preference would be Japanese cuisine. Definitely not fine-dining places. But stuff like ramen, family-friendly restaurants etc.

I also would worry about New Years Eve and New Years Day in the smaller towns like Takayama or Kanazawa.
by Malt1168 rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/7 19:54
Ifd be more worried about getting seats on trains during that time period, but presumably you are aware of this issue.

I expect Shirakawago might be the most challenging. Kanazawa has a population of several hundred thousand, so I would hardly call it a small town. Takayama is more townlike, but still seems like a small city to me. In all of these places, there will be closures for the holidays, but what can you do? I have had the same issue in central Tokyo, when I was able to find a few restaurants open but the pickings were kind of slim on January 2-3 near my hotel by Gotanda station. I wouldnft spend too much time worrying about it in advance. I donft think you will have any trouble at all before December 31 or after January 3.

In the U.S., at least, a fairly large number of holiday restaurant closures will be reported in advance on Google Maps, so you can open the application and search for restaurants near where you will be, then look at the hours given for these places. Ifm not sure whether this works as well for Japan. (The regular business hours will be listed, but Ifm not sure if they will accurately report holiday closures.) Another information resource would be your hotel front desk. People there might know some places that will be open.

That said, convenience stores really arenft all that terrible an option if you find yourself in a bind. Some of their fresh packaged foods are actually pretty good (I really like the sandwiches myself, and the onigiri are usually okay), and they usually have microwaves available, plus a few hot foods such as chicken nuggets for sale on the spot. Not many have seating areas that would accommodate a family-sized group, but you could take things to your hotel room. Supermarkets (likely open at least through December 31) will have a lot more items, including many things you would get in a casual Japanese restaurant), and many hotels have a microwave on the premises. So gfinding foodh really isnft going to be an issue. Finding open restaurants could possibly be, but youfre not going to go hungry.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/7 23:15
It's very easy to find food and daily necessities in Japan all year round. But if you're aiming for specific restaurants or stores, more of them tend to be closed around New Years.

So, if any of your children are picky or have medical problems such as allergy, be sure you bring enough supplies. Or if you need to visit specific places, be sure you make direct contact beforehand to see if they're open.

Emergency doctors are available even around New Years. If anyone gets sick, ask your hotel for the nearest emergency doctor. Hotels hardly have medical supplies, and even if they do, they don't always know how to handle them.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/8 08:18
In the U.S., at least, a fairly large number of holiday restaurant closures will be reported in advance on Google Maps, so you can open the application and search for restaurants near where you will be, then look at the hours given for these places. Ifm not sure whether this works as well for Japan.

Basically this also works in Japan. Also there will be some link on the googlemaps to see more information (Facebook, X and instagram pages of the restaurant). Or more directly if you google "the name of the restaurant" and "”N––”NŽnh meaning new year holidays, you will see the closure information of the restaurants.

Actually if you don't show your specific interest, no one can answer. I will show you one example. KYK is one of the well-known Tonkatsu restaurant chains in Kansai area. This may be a family restaurants which serves one type of Japanese cuisine. I googled "KYK ”N––”NŽnh and the results is:

https://www.tonkatu-kyk.co.jp/tonkatu/newsdetail/68/

https://www-tonkatu--kyk-co-jp.translate.goog/tonkatu/newsdetail/68/?_...

Note that this is for 2022/2023 season.

Unfortunately they don't prepare English pages and some of the Japanese text can not be translated because they are actually "picture", not text. As for Kyoto there are two branches.

Kyoto Porta branch: 12/31 close. 1/1 11:00-20:00 (19:30 last order)
Suika KYK Kyoto branch: 12/31 11:00-20:00 (19:00 last order). 1/1 close

Anyway you can start with the Googlemaps and find your target and search by yourself. If you can't find the closure information for a specific restaurants, don't hesitate to write here.

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/8 10:56
A lot is closed on 1/1, even fast food places. I'm honestly not sure what people here are talking about.

Just because something is fast food doesn't mean it will be open, and I would be surprised if grocery stores were open on 1/1 everywhere as well. (I got the Mister Donuts x Pokemon fukuburo last year and the Mister Donuts in Ginza Nine 1 in Tokyo was closed from like 12/30 onwards.) I would not assume all fast food places will be open.

And yes, I was in Japan last year December 22-January 3. When we walked through Tokyo Station to get to the Yamabiko to get to our ryokan last year the vast majority of shops and bakeries were all closed on 1/1. By 1/2 when we came back through Tokyo Station, everything was open again there.

It can be weird what is open and what is closed. I prefer being in the Tokyo area or in a ryokan on 12/31 or 1/1, since it makes food a lot easier and there is more open. I would probably be willing to be in Osaka too. But I would not want to be someplace like Takayama unless I was staying somewhere with half board.

Generally places with large open tourist attractions on 1/1 are the places with more food options (So I imagine Ikspiari, CityWalk, Abenos Haruka, and Skytree will have options.)

We leave on 1/1, so I am planning to just eat a huge breakfast in our hotel that day. For 12/31, if I don't get an invite to visit a friend, I will probably check out Ikspiari, or plan to get dinner at my hotel.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/8 12:27
In the food business in Japan, especially on the cheap side, part-time workers take important roles. New year holidays are important for many Japanese (and maybe for foreign workers in the food business in Japan) so they don't want to work on the new year holidays. Therefore many places have difficulties in obtaining the required number of workers.

Many restaurants don't show their schedule for new year holodays at present. I think they can't at present. Maybe they will announce on mid Dec. Check at that time. If you don't want to wait a ling queue, you should reserve beforehand.

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/8 12:57
I'm honestly not sure what people here are talking about.

At least what I'm saying is that, during the day, eki-ben (station lunch boxes) would be sold inside major stations, and convenience stores like Seven Eleven and Family Mart would be opened. Note, however, that remote places wouldn't have major train stations and convenience stores in the first place, so you need to rely on your accommodation.

Things like Google Map information might work to a certain extent, but I find that, ever since the pandemic, restaurants and stores have been temporarily closing without notice. Again, if you're aiming to go to specific places or buy specific things, you should email or phone them in advance to make sure you get a response from them saying they're available on that specific day.

For example, a local friend and I wanted to go to Restaurant A here in Japan this summer, and checked their updated website in advance to see if they're opened. When we got there, they turned out to be closed for the day, so we went to another Restaurant B in their neighborhood. Restaurant B told us that Restaurant A decided to have a late summer vacation. Restaurant B was a very good one as well, but we were craving for the dishes that only Restaurant A had, so we went back in the following month. This time we made a phone call in advance.

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/9 02:14
I want to say now, I am not in any way begrudging Japanese workers wanting to take off 1/1. I have holidays that are important to me, and I take them off. If I was Japanese I would want to spend 1/1 with my family too.

What I am saying is, several people posted that the OP asking the question would have no problem finding things during New Years and I am disagreeing. I have seen closed convenience stores and fast food places in Tokyo. When I passed through Tokyo Station on 1/1/2023, there could have been maybe 1 or two shops open selling ekiben, but thankfully we were not looking, cause the vast majority of places were closed and we might have struggled to find which were the open ones. I don't think anyone would argue Tokyo Station is not a major station.

A lot is closed on 1/1. There is nothing wrong with that. But unless you as a tourist are cooking food you pre-purchased or are happy just getting whatever is available from a vending machine. I would think about your options ahead of time and not wait until 1/1 to just go out and hope you can easily find something that is open, especially if you are traveling with kids.

I would not personally want to be in Takayama or Shirakawa Go on 1/1 unless I was staying somewhere with 1/2 board, I had my own cooking facilities and bought food on 12/31, I was visiting with friends or I was staying in a large Western Hotel and had reservations there or knew I could get room service.

In Tokyo, by 1/2 the vast majority of places had reopened (except that Mister Donuts I wanted to get free donuts from.)

I really like being in Japan for New Years. I had so much fun last year, I am doing it again this year. But as a tourist, you need to be prepared. We're flying on 1/1, and I am expecting most things in Narita to be closed. I am planning a huge breakfast at our hotel to tide us over until we get on the plane, I might go to Skytree before my flight since I know it is open on 1/1

BTW I am really surprised at how many places have already started taking orders for Christmas Cakes!

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/9 08:42
I've never had a problem travelling with groups and finding good restaurants across the New Year period. Was in Kanazawa on New Year's day this year (previous stop was Kyoto on 31-Dec and Takayama on 2-Jan) - no issues. Some of the smaller spots/restaurants might be closed, but still plenty of options.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/9 10:55
Was in Kanazawa on New Year's day this year (previous stop was Kyoto on 31-Dec and Takayama on 2-Jan) - no issues.

Well, you are professhonal and know where to find one :). Did you reserve or just hop in?

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/10 08:07
@Frog - yes, I might travel for a living and know my way around more than the casual visitor, but my guests from Hawaii it was their first time and they didn't have problems either. For Takayama on the 2nd and 3rd we went out together (quite memorable - they were great fun) so went to a couple of the places I usually go. In Takayama currently for the festival (my 10th visit in the last 12 months) so with the large number of people in town I would say they crowds make it trickier than NY - but I made dinner reservations in advance.
I have travelled with groups across New Year on other occasions and there have always been lots of options. But, generally, there are still lots of places that are open at that time of year. Yes, some of the small mom&pop stores close, but there are so many options, I've never had an issue.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/10 15:04
Thank you so much for all your responses.

After weighting the information I got from here - I've decided not to take the chance travelling around New Years. Although a chance to experience New Years with the locals seems like it will be quite interesting, I think with 3 young kids navigating the trains, crowds and hunting for food might not be something I want to subject my family to.

Nothing spoils a good holiday vibe like hangry, tired kids and exasperated parents! =D.

I've decided to move the trip to Japan to Mid-december, before Christmas.
by Malt1168 rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/10 19:33
I think that mid-December will be a much better time for you. Transportation will be easier, venues will be open, and accommodations should easier to find (although mid-December in Kyoto may still be affected by high occupancy rates and price hikes lingering from foliage season—and in fact you might still be able to experience the tail end of foliage season there). Much of the glocalh experience of New Yearfs is spending time at at home with family (for example, sitting around watching television and eating osechi ryori), which is not really available to most foreign tourists. Going to shrines and temples is also a thing, but they are incredibly crowded at that time. There are decorations and special foods, etc. but honestly, much of the specialness is lost on tourists. The pre-Christmas season has a lot more going for it, if you ask me. Illuminations and decorations will be fun for the kids as well as the parents.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/10 20:13
If possible, late January is another good season for families, because the whole month of December tends to be a busy time for locals. Cities and big stores would be very crowded with everyone in a hurry. Late Jan would be much more relaxed, although there would be less season's decoration. But I do agree that early Dec is much reasuring than New Years, especially for people with three small children.

Re: How hard is it finding food around New Years 2023/10/20 04:07
Nice topic indeed.

I'll be in Tokyo on Christmas and New Year's and I don't panic about the closure issue. However, some of you talked about supermarkets and I'm curious, because last time I stayed in Edogawa and there the not-so-small-grocery options were plenty.

This time I tried to take a look at this on Google Maps and I failed to find supermarkets in central Tokyo, specially near Tokyo Station or Ginza. Are there supermarket chain stores I could search for? Or even nihongo expressions that will work better on Google? Any tips about notable stores maybe?

Oh, I'm talking about everyday life, not holidays.
by Fureg (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 32

1 2
next

reply to this thread