Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

How to wear a Kuro Tomesode? 2023/10/7 00:03
Hello. I recently visited Japan and bought a vintage/secondhand Kimono in Kyoto. Itfs a Kuro Tomesode and I found afterwards that itfs mostly worn by married woman like mothers on their daughters wedding. My question is, if itfs allowed to wear it also as an unmarried young woman for an occasion like a graduation ceremony. Thank you in advance for your answer!
by Katharina (guest)  

Re: How to wear a Kuro Tomesode? 2023/10/7 11:03
Usually, unmarried women wear haori and hakama at graduation ceremonies (university, etc.). Or a suit or formal dress.
However, my university was a little different, and students were required to wear a black formal dress or a two-piece suit (with a skirt underneath) for the graduation ceremony.
Instead, I wore a colorful furisode to the Graduation Party held at a luxury hotel. (What I also wore at the Coming of Age Ceremony(seijin-shiki))
Some mothers of graduates wear kimonos at their graduation ceremonies.
If you really want to wear it to a party, it might be better to obi with a colorful or large-patterned obi to give it a fashionable feel.
I think it would be a good idea to use an obijime with a stylish design.
However, if an unmarried Japanese woman were to wear it, it would look strange, but if a foreigner were to wear it, people might think that they just didn't know when to wear black tomesode.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: How to wear a Kuro Tomesode? 2023/10/7 23:32
A Kuro Tomesode is simply not worn on a graduation ceremony, whether it's yours or your daughters.

It's considered as the utmost formal wear for married women (and needs to be worn with a proper obi and zori). It would be like wearing a gorgeous evening dress to a barbeque. It's just odd.

If you insist, why not completely arrange the way you wear it so that it wouldn't look like a Kuro Tomesode. I found an example on the internet.

https://ameblo.jp/ko23nobue/entry-12328694984.html
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to wear a Kuro Tomesode? 2023/10/8 10:20
rules and manners depend on the societies which you belong and live.
because your society does not have any clothes like kuro tomesode, I think you are not restricted to the Japanese rule and manner.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to wear a Kuro Tomesode? 2023/10/8 13:04
because your society does not have any clothes like kuro tomesode, I think you are not restricted to the Japanese rule and manner.

I can understand that, but couldn't a "graduation ceremony" be filled with students, teachers and guests who may have studied or have knowledge on Japanese culture?

And the OP herself bothered to come to Japan and buy kimono. I wouldn't be surprised if another fellow student of hers happened to come to Japan and studied more about the kimono culture. And the OP herself is on her way to study more. If I were a student trying to study a different culture, I would want to do it right. To me, a graduation ceremony is a place to honor your academic achievements.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread