Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Hairstyles in Japanese School 2023/10/10 04:51
Hello,
I have a question I was interested in for so long.
I will this April go to High School in Japan.
I know the rules are very strict, and hairstyles.
I like having pretty hairstyles and I always take care of my hair.
Of course, I will not dye my hair blonde or do crazy hairstyles, just simple ones.

I have a complexion and face like every other Japanese student, my hair is very black (natural) but really long. It is down to my upper hip, i worry it will stand out very much for school.
I worry this may be an issue for the school rules?.. like it is distracting or something?...
My signature hair is half up half down pigtails, but really simple without clips and stuff, and I am curious a bit that I cannot do this hair at school haha.
It is not the biggest issue in the world, but I just wonder If i can do this hair at school.
Or, will they have me cut my hair because of limit?..
Cutting my hair is impossible, because the reason my hair is so long is because my mom does wants it this way, she does not let me cut my hair. My mom is Japanese, there is not really cultural reasons why just she prefers long hair over short including for me.
Will this cause issues? I also do not want to cut my hair. What do you think?

by sss244 (guest)  

Re: Hairstyles in Japanese School 2023/10/10 10:55
I know the rules are very strict, and hairstyles.

Not necessarily. It all depends on the school and era. For example, here in Kanagawa, public high schools used to let students dye their hair blonde and do crazy hairstyles. I don't know how it is now, though.

And thank you for all the details, but I'm not really sure what your concern is. If you're female, and if you're not engaged in specific activities such as certain sports or drama in which physicality counts, I doubt that your school would force you to cut your hair just because it's long. But you might be asked to tie it or what not.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Hairstyles in Japanese School 2023/10/10 23:10
I have the same opinion as Uco. The rules regarding hairstyles in Japan vary from one high school to another. So we cannot say anything now. However, in certain situations, at least such as during PE classes, you will be instructed to tie or braid your hair back, or put it up in a bun. This is to prevent potential hazards that extremely long hair may cause.
To show you how the rules are different by schools, I tell you my personal story. In my high school, there were almost no rules about hairstyles. Even if students dyed their hair unnatural colors, styled it in unconventional ways like shaving a part of hair into a crazy style, or had extremely long hair, the teachers didn't care at all and rarely made negative comments. Instead, they often said, like "Oh, your new hairstyle looks odd but good!" On the other hand, in my siblings' high school, there were numerous rules such as restriction of length, not getting permed or dyed hair, etc. They used to tell me how their teachers strictly enforced these rules which prevented students from having hairstyles like we did in my school.

P.S. By the way, what your mom forces you sounds "exotic" because it reminds me of a story my Chinese friends once told me years ago: There exists (or 'used to exist') the culture that never allows young daughters to cut their hair in some parts of China. (I forgot why they did so) According to them this culture is not common anymore, especially in the cities, but some Chinese women still preserve it strictly.
by Stip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hairstyles in Japanese School 2023/10/11 11:30
such a long hair is probably inconvenient in school life.
how to dry your long hair after swimming lessons ? Is that possible to dry until the next class ?
in general, high school educations are something like military style. (therefore, there is some kind of sense of togetherness in the class. and it may make you fun.) if you delay, people (students and teachers) may hurry you up. they will not treat you as a special case, because you are not disabled.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hairstyles in Japanese School 2023/10/11 19:38
in general, high school educations are something like military style.

Well, it wasn't so at some of the high schools I was familiar with. And not all high schools do swimming lessons. Again, it totally depends on the school.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Hairstyles in Japanese School 2023/10/16 22:41
in general, high school educations are something like military style.

I hope not, but anyway it will depend entirely on the rules and regulations of the school she attends. If her school is tolerant of students' hairstyles, there should be no problem. If it is stricter, it would depend on "how" she joins the school.
In the case that she comes to Japan as an exchange student or under a similar status, teachers may consider her cultural background flexibly. Such students are temporary and often treated differently from the school's original rules. But if she attends as a regular Japanese student (by the way she hasn't mentioned how she could get the chance to attend a Japanese high school.), teachers would treat her just like they do with other students and may instruct her to have her hair cut. If the problem is about unchangeable things (e.g. blond or red hair of white students, or curly hair of black students) they may consider it, but the length, ... I'm not sure.

I've read a sad article about a high school student of African-American descent who was rejected from his graduation ceremony by the teachers, because he had his hair in cornrow style for that special day, and it violated the hair regulations of his school.

Re: Hairstyles in Japanese School 2023/10/17 00:17
I will be joining as a normal Japanese student (in Osaka).
My hair is straight black like everyone else.
by sss244 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hairstyles in Japanese School 2023/10/23 18:39
Will your parents (especially your mom) be able to talk to teachers in Japan face to face, in case they find fault with your long hair and instruct you to cut it?

Re: Hairstyles in Japanese School 2023/11/4 07:19
yes, but cutting my hair is impossible..
by sss244 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hairstyles in Japanese School 2023/11/4 08:33
If not cutting your hair is a condition for you to attend high school in Japan, then ask the school before joining about their specific ghair rulesh. Per an other post you havenft found a school yet. So you can select the school accordingly. (Assuming you can find a school at all)
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Hairstyles in Japanese School 2023/11/4 17:35
According to other threads you made, the biggest issue you must solve is not about that of hairstyle at all, but I'll try to answer to this one.

It seems quite weird that both you and your mom are so fixated on not cutting your hair, but if you keep insisting on this, your best option would be to consider choosing (Please remember that this "choosing" doesn't guarantee "being admitted", as mentioned in another thread) a high school that doesn't have such rules. This may sound unreasonable to you, but you must understand that joining a high school not as an exchange student but as a "regular one", as you've previously mentioned, does often mean that. A school does not always accept all you and mom's request. Not all high schools are super inclusive here in Japan unlike Canadians schools are.
I don't have specific information about the rules of each high school in Osaka since I'm not from there, but your parents can inquire about them at each school. The school staff may find their (your) request strange or weird as I did, but your parents can still ask for information of that.

reply to this thread