Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Shinkansen from Osaka to Mishima 2023/10/16 12:15
Will be visiting Kawaguchiko on 6 Nov.

Have to travel from Namba to Kawaguchiko.
Will be taking the local trains till Shin-Osaka.

I have a bus to take form Mishima to Kawaguchiko (liner express) - 2.20pm

I have JR pass.
Tried looking at the different Shinkansen schedules.

The schedules are a little confusing but I found schedules below (if it's correct) for 6 Nov:
A) 10.48am Shin Osaka to Shizuoka (Hikari) - arrive 12.37pm. 12.57pm Shizuoka to Mishima (Kodama) - arrive 1.19pm
B) 10.54am Shin-OSaka to Mishima (Kodama) - arrive 1.49pm

The pickup of my bus from Mishima is at Mishima South exit Platform 2.
As it's our first time in Japan I have below concerns:

1) We prefer schedule A but the transfer at Shizuoka - is it at the same platform? We are worried if it's at different platform, we may take some time to find the next transfer Shinkansen and if we miss it, it's big trouble for us.

2) From Shinkansen Mishima station go to Mishima South Exit Platform 2 for bus - is it very far? Because if Schdule A is not workable, we might pick schedule B - but we only have 30mins to find the bus. And we prefer arrive earlier to ensure we have spaces for luggage compartment.

Thanks in advance!
by joanna (guest)  

Re: Shinkansen from Osaka to Mishima 2023/10/16 15:08
In both schedules you have AMPLE time.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen from Osaka to Mishima 2023/10/16 15:51
Yes, you don't need to worry.

This is the description of Mishima station.

https://jprail.com/travel-informations/basic-informations/station-info...

Honestly it may be too detailed so if you want to save your time, just don't read it but just go to Mishima station and find the South Gate and then No.2 bus terminal.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen from Osaka to Mishima 2023/10/16 15:53
I havent looked, but would you be better off Osaka to Atami and then back to Mishima? I think we did that (Atami to Mishima) when we went to Shuzenji
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen from Osaka to Mishima 2023/10/16 15:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL_pUu1gQRk

This video seems to be more straightforward.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen from Osaka to Mishima 2023/10/16 16:17
Thanks for the response, much appreciation.

Does anyone know if the shinkansen transfer at Shizuoka is the same platform?
by joanna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen from Osaka to Mishima 2023/10/16 16:58
Yes, same platform.

20 minutes is plenty of time. Enough to exit the shinkansen area, buy a bento box and be back to catch the next train.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen from Osaka to Mishima 2023/10/16 22:10
Plan A works. I have a friend who lived in Mishima and he always used a similar plan when he came to Osaka.
Shizuoka Station has only 2 platforms for Shinkansen (one for the east and one for the west) so it's easy to find your way. You won't get lost and 20 minutes would be enough to take your second Shinkansen.
by Stip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen from Osaka to Mishima 2024/3/23 01:01
Checking in on this to see if the OP (original poster, joanna) was able to make their connections in time, and what schedule they ended up going with?

I'm planning on taking a similar journey towards the end of next month (April), except I'm going from Kyoto to Mishima and then the bus from Mishima to Kawaguchiko.

From Kyoto to Mishima, I have a choice of either taking the Hikari train that arrives in Mishima at 11:57am or the Kodama that arrives in Mishima at 12:49pm.

The bus from Mishima to Kawaguchiko is at 1:20pm.

Based on what everyone was telling the OP, is it still safe to assume that 30 minutes will be enough time to get off at Mishima station at 12:49pm and transfer to Mishima South to catch our 1:20pm bus? I assume trains in Japan are rarely, if ever, severely late by more than a few minutes (unless it's due to an emergency)?

I will be travelling with my (elderly) parents who are able to fully walk etc. by themselves, just not that quickly if we need to rush/run. We'll only have our carry-ons with us.
by Canadiantraveller (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread