Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Shows at Billboard Tokyo + Blue Note Tokyo 2023/11/2 16:24
Hiya,

I will be travelling to Tokyo next week. I'm keen to see what might be the final gigs of Shabaka and the Ancestors at Billboard Live Tokyo (http://www.billboard-live.com/pg/shop/show/index.php?mode=detail1&even...), as well as catching some shows at Blue Note. Since they appear to share a similar seating+reservation arrangements, wondering if any of you can help me with some questions.

1. In both Billboard Live Tokyo's website and the event's listing on the international version of e-plus website (https://ib.eplus.jp/shabakaandtheancestors), you can choose to purchase service area reserved seat and casual area reserve seat. My understanding is casual area tickets are cheaper because they are near the back/upper floors, and you are just able to order drinks and enjoy the show; whereas the service area is at the stage level and you are expected to order a meal.

A) I haven't tried registering on the Billboard website (becos it's in Japanese), but if I order on the e-plus website, will I be assigned a seat (whether casual or service area) upon purchase of the ticket, or you are assigned when you arrive at the venue (I.e. first come first served)?

B) Aside from making a telephone reservation (which I prefer not to now since I'm based abroad plus I don't speak Japanese), is there any way to reserve the service area seats near the stage? (The venue's floorplan is here, I am guessing the pink and purple seats are service area: http://www.billboard-live.com/membersarea/tokyo_floor_50.html)

2. Assuming the event isn't sold out, would door tickets be available? And would you have a better/same/worse chance in choosing seats?

3. Is it really a matter of etiquette that I should order a meal at the service area, or there is a minimum spending requirement? If I just order drinks, will it be a big no-no?

4. As I plan to see the shows alone, are there any issues I should be aware of?
by jazzlover84 (guest)  

Re: Shows at Billboard Tokyo + Blue Note Tokyo 2023/11/3 00:40
I've never been to Billboard, but I've been to Blue Note Tokyo a couple of times (as well as Cotton Club).

1. A) I haven't tried registering on the Billboard website (becos it's in Japanese), but if I order on the e-plus website, will I be assigned a seat (whether casual or service area) upon purchase of the ticket, or you are assigned when you arrive at the venue (I.e. first come first served)?

My understanding is that both Billboard and Blue Note only allow you to reserve the "seat area". Your specific seat would be assigned as you enter the floor.

B) Aside from making a telephone reservation (which I prefer not to now since I'm based abroad plus I don't speak Japanese), is there any way to reserve the service area seats near the stage? (The venue's floorplan is here, I am guessing the pink and purple seats are service area: http://www.billboard-live.com/membersarea/tokyo_floor_50.html)

I guess not (refer to my answer above). That's how they design concert seats nowadays. But I hope I'm wrong.
By the way, this is the floor map in English.
http://www.billboard-live.com/club/t_index_e.html

2. Assuming the event isn't sold out, would door tickets be available? And would you have a better/same/worse chance in choosing seats?

You never know. There is no waiting list, so if someone calls them to cancel seats at last minutes and you're there at the right time, you may have a chance.

3. Is it really a matter of etiquette that I should order a meal at the service area, or there is a minimum spending requirement? If I just order drinks, will it be a big no-no?

It probably depends on the event and hour. For example, I don't think the venue can expect Japanese people to be eating big at a show as late as 9pm. Note that Billboard seems to have a 500 yen Cheese Fondue sauce.
http://www.billboard-live.com/membersarea/fooddrink/t_food.html

4. As I plan to see the shows alone, are there any issues I should be aware of?

If you're used to going to shows and restaurants alone, I don't think there's anything particularly different in Billboard or Blue Note. No tipping is required in Japan, and that's the same in those venues.

I've also noticed that, in such small sophisticated venues, some artists would later come down to the floor to meet their fans. But these nice venues make sure the artists are totally comfortable, and would reject any person who may offend their policy. If you're going to ask for an autograph, be sure you ask to get it on the artists' CD or some kind of merchandise, and never something like a restaurant napkin.

I'm also wondering if your hotel concierge could help you in any way. I hope you have a great November!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Shows at Billboard Tokyo + Blue Note Tokyo 2023/11/3 11:30
I've been to Billboard Live Tokyo twice and Billboard Live Osaka once by myself.
If you are alone, I recommend a counter seat at the back.
They are located on the 4th and 5th floors, but the 5th floor is not directly connected to the stage, so the 4th floor is more recommended, although it may be more expensive. (DX sheet in front)
Some musicians sing while moving around the venue. I once had a musician shake my hand as he walked while singing.
By the way, the three of us went to Blue Note, and when we were eating after the performance, a musician walked up to us and we started talking together (I don't speak English very well, so I might not have spoken to him).
The 5th floor is closer to the exit, so I think I probably got home earlier. I remember going out the exit in order. If your purpose is to listen to music, the 5th floor is more casual.
I remember being able to freely choose seats in both the casual area and the service area (first come, first served).
When I sat in the service area on the third floor, it seemed like the tickets were sold out, so I got a free invitation ticket, so there were plenty of seats left.
The service area was seated diagonally, so I thought it would be easier to see from the front.
Since I was alone, I remember ordering the cheapest meal.
I was drinking at the time, so I don't think I ordered a main course, but instead ordered alcohol and snacks.
Although it is in Japanese, you can see the price of the meal.
http://www.billboard-live.com/membersarea/fooddrink/t_food.html
There is a possibility that same-day tickets will also be sold, but there are only a few left on e-plus, so they may not be sold.
Tickets for this performance will only be sold to Club BBL members and the general public via online registration. Corporate members can make reservations by phone. This is a ticket that cannot be reserved over the phone.​
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Shows at Billboard Tokyo + Blue Note Tokyo 2023/11/3 11:46
I realize it was a bit misleading of me to write that your seat would be "assigned". You do get to choose, but not until you enter the floor.

I don't know about Billboard, but I've sat at the very front table at Blue Note (where I was even able to "smell" a band member). There were a lot of people near me who had come alone. Maybe it was that kind of a gig. One of the female lone audiences came up to me saying my blouse was nice, and we had a chat which was really fun. When I go to concerts alone, I do tend to wear something that trigger conversation. Even if it's in a foreign language, we can converse using gesture and drawings.

The very front row, however, does come with responsibility as an audience.

Re: Shows at Billboard Tokyo + Blue Note Tokyo 2023/11/4 13:30
Thank you Uco and haro1210 for taking your time to answer my enquiries!

I ended up buying a service area ticket: I'm on vacation, Shabaka Hutchings announced he will stop playing the sax from 2024 onwards, and probably there will no further shows of Shabaka and The Ancestors in the near future - so might as well splurge on this show ;)

I just have a follow up question: Uco mentions that you do get to choose seats when you arrive at the floor. There's actually going to be two shows at night: one at 6pm (doors open 5pm), and the later one I'm goin gis at 9pm (doors open at 8pm). Would it actually be possible to go to the venue early (whether at 5pm or even earlier when the venue opens) to "reserve" a nicer seat for my show, or is the best and only option to get the best seats is to arrive at 8pm promptly?
by jazzlover84 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shows at Billboard Tokyo + Blue Note Tokyo 2023/11/4 16:13
If your question is "Can I choose the 9pm seats at 5pm?" my answer is I don't think so.

But there will definitely be staff at 5pm, so you might get a better chance to ask questions directly to them. I'm sure you can communicate in plain textbook English if not through an automatic translating app. And you might even get to see the musicians going in or coming out.

Both Billboard and Blue Note is located in a safe area with lots of affordable restaurants, cafes and shops, so if I were you I'd go early, see what's going on, and if nothing is going on I'd walk around to kill time.

I could be totally wrong about everything, though.

Re: Shows at Billboard Tokyo + Blue Note Tokyo 2023/11/7 21:55
Just for your reference, I happened to come across this video showing the different seats at Billboard Tokyo. I'm not sure if the club still has the anti-virus transparent panels you see in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFBvDh4HbPY

reply to this thread