Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Omiyage question 2023/11/12 06:31
We will be house sitting in Japan during January and February 2023.

Friends there are organising some activities/trips and similar for us to do with them, and we are (again) wondering about the question of gifts for them. For trips, in particular, we will of course pay for ourselves. And when someone organises and pays for an activity for all of us to do together we pay for a meal or refreshments on the day. This is what we do here in those circumstances, and is a bit separate in my mind from the question of omiyage.

Sometimes we bring items from Australia, in particular ecobags with Australian images on them. Unfortunately our supplier of those sources them from China, which takes a bit of the shine off.

We've noticed that foods from a special shop, or a destination within Japan seem very welcome. For instance we have in the past given biscuits from Meiji Mura, and sweets from Okachi Sanso Villa in Arashiyama, which were happily received. We've also taken nicely presented fruit as a gift to people's homes.

My feeling is that people like something they can consume, rather than one more item to dust or store. Or am I misreading/projecting?

Advice or thoughts would be most welcome.

by Who? (guest)  

Re: Omiyage question 2023/11/12 15:32
My feeling is that people like something they can consume, rather than one more item to dust or store. Or am I misreading/projecting?

I agree (and I thought that's something universal). If the item suits the receiver's taste enough to not be dusted or stored, that would be great, but if you don't know what the person would prefer, then consumable things tend to be "safer". And if they live with family or friends, food can be shared.

But both locals and foreign friends have given me non-consumable items as gifts from abroad. Especially, when you can't meet each other immediately after you enter the country, non-consumable items can be better in the sense that they don't rot or wear out.

In short, it really doesn't matter as long as it's a thoughtful gift.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Omiyage question 2023/11/14 06:38
Thanks Uco that's useful.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread