Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/19 14:22
I will be visiting Japan for a family holiday soon.
My school does not have a uniform (we get a dress code) and as an anime fan I would like to get a real Japanese school uniform. Not a cheap cosplay one, since I have every intention to wear it to class. Takashiyama sells school uniforms, and Isetan too.

I am wondering do they sell to anyone who wants it, or do you need to be enrolled in a Japanese school to buy? Would be great if I could get one "off the shelf", or is the process more complicated than buying any other piece of clothing?

I heard some schools don't have their own uniform and students from such schools can buy the same uniform that fits the dress code, then just sew/iron on their school's badge. Do these uniforms still exist, and do I need to prove enrolment somewhere to buy, seeing it does not belong to a specific school?

I have heard of "free uniform" shops like Conomi and East Boy, but was hoping to get a "real" one if possible.

Many thanks!
by Charlotte J (guest)  

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/19 16:26
A uniform is what represents the organization the wearer belongs to. So, you cannot buy uniforms of specific schools unless you are a student of that school. Department stores like Takashimaya or Isetan won't sell them to you, and even if you do find ways to obtain them, that would be immoral if not illegal.

I heard some schools don't have their own uniform and students from such schools can buy the same uniform that fits the dress code, then just sew/iron on their school's badge.

It's the same thing.

The following link in Japanese language is just for backup.
https://seihuku.net/how-to-buy-a-uniform/

The ones sold at Conomi and East Boy looks authentic enough to me who is a Japanese resident and parent of a former high schooler. In any case, uniforms wouldn't be "real" unless the wearer is a "real" person representing the school. And I don't think that real specific schools aren't depicted in anime anyway.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/19 16:43
Uco,

That is specifically why I asked about if there are uniforms that do not belong to any specific school, so does not have any logo on it. Then I can either sew on my own school's logo, or wear it logo-less, and it won't be pretending to be a student of somewhere I am not.

Quoting myself:
>I heard some schools don't have their own uniform and students from such schools can buy the same uniform that fits the dress code, then just sew/iron on their school's badge.

I would, mainly for the reasons you described, prefer not to buy the uniform of any specific school. However, if anyone can buy a blank uniform and attach their own school's logo, then I will do likewise and either attach my own school's logo or leave it blank?

On a side note I saw some people with a sailor-type uniform with the み (mi) hiragana right below the neck, pretty sure that does not belong to any school, since I saw it at various far apart locations.
Wondering which brand of free uniform that is? Looked pretty cool.

by Charlotte J (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/19 16:53
Uco,
Sorry to double post.
Just to be clear I am not after any "specific" school's uniform, but rather a blank one that Japanese students would buy then attach their own school's logo.

After reading your link, I am specifically after the 共通デザイン制服
Since that does not belong to any school and only represents a specific school after their logo has been attached, those issues you mentioned shouldn't be a problem. Since I will attach my own school's logo and so represent my own school, or leave it blank and so represent no-one.

I could prove enrolment at my school back home, will that help? Though I don't see why that is necessary if buying a blank uniform.

If not, as previously mentioned, as a last resort I will get the なんちゃって制服
The problem is I am not sure if Conomi's uniforms are meant to be worn on a daily basis at school, especially during summer, since they are not machine washable.

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/20 10:22
The issue is Charlotte is that in Japan, people don't get a school uniform unless it's either for cosplay or specifically given to them from their school.

If you're just trying to find some "authentic" school uniform that doesn't have logos on it, that's not really going to be very easy to find. If anything, I would just look online at different websites that offer school uniforms and if you think the quality would be on par with what you're looking for, then go for it.

Keep in mind, there seems to be a huge misconception for people who perhaps haven't been to Japan that think all Japanese people love Anime and everything revolves around anything anime, school uniforms, etc. Is your purpose to wear the school uniform at your own school? Why?
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/20 11:00
wearing student uniform indicates they are young minors.
I think the sellers are afraid that their uniforms are used for crimes.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/20 11:07
Charlotte J,

After reading your link, I am specifically after the 共通デザイン制服
Since that does not belong to any school and only represents a specific school after their logo has been attached, those issues you mentioned shouldn't be a problem.

I'm afraid you've misunderstood. The link and I indeed say that it is a problem. The reason is the same as the 学校オリジナル制服. (It says 「学校オリジナル制服」と同様、生徒への販売が前提ですので、それ以外の用途での販売は行っていません) And the 学校オリジナル制服 is for schools that sort of tells the students to "choose from various options and attach this specific icon". So, it's a lot more like the 学校オリジナル制服 than the 自由服校向け制服.

The problem is I am not sure if Conomi's uniforms are meant to be worn on a daily basis at school, especially during summer, since they are not machine washable.

Most if not all school uniform jackets, skirts and pants are not machine washable, just as most business suits aren't.

You brush them and hang them each evening, and after a while you go to the cleaners and have them dry-cleaned for a fee. The shirts can be machine-washed, of course, and you'd also wash your underwear. Households would typically buy a pair of the same uniform so that you can have one dry-cleaned while you wear the other, in case of emergency. Most people can't afford to dry-clean them all the time. This is another reason that many locals don't prefer uniforms.

(By the way, I don't necessarily agree with Tom.)

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/20 11:07
Tom,

Yes the purpose is to wear it at my own school, and I did check and it fits my school's dress code. Obviously I cannot shorten the skirt to the lengths seen in some anime or anything crazy like that or I would be in violation.
As to why, it is mainly personal taste. I love how the sailor uniform looks, as well as all the emotional/personal significance being an anime fan, where many of my happiest memories involve watching anime.

I have worn a cosplay uniform before and they are very obviously fake and not fit to wear all day in class. Looks good, but not durable or suitable for wearing in a classroom all day, 5 days a week.

I have been to Japan a few times already, though only holidays so I am aware Japan is not an anime etc.

As to why besides mere preference I cannot just get a free uniform, Conomi's sailor uniform does not appear to be machine washable and East Boy doesn't sell sailor uniforms at all.

There is Kanko, which I believe is an actual uniform shop, that has a shop for free uniforms in Harajuku, but they do not sell sailor uniforms in this shop either. They do sell them in their other actual uniform shops though, so I do not know if I can just walk up and buy one since those are not free uniform shops. However on google maps I see them hung up in rows with no obvious logo on them.

I know in some schools which do not have their own uniforms, students buy their own plain uniforms from Kanko and iron on their badge, this is confirmed on Uco's link under "共通デザイン制服" and implied on Kanko's website. I intend to do the same thing, so I don't see any ethical reasons why I cannot since I am merely using it as my own uniform wearing my own school's logo (or no logo). The only question is whether they will sell it to me since I am not in a Japanese school.
Kanko's seem to be machine washable so if they will sell one to me, it will be perfect.

So I guess the most important question now is, will Kanko or anyone sell me a plain uniform off-the-shelf?

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/20 11:13
Sorry Uco, your post/explanation wasn't up yet when I typed my reply.
That does make good sense about why the writer of that article will not sell the 共通デザイン制服

However going by Kanko's website they seem to have plenty of blank uniforms, where you just iron on a logo, for schools that do not have uniforms. Most of their shops are outside tokyo though, and I can't find any actual Kanko uniform shop in Tokyo, only their free uniform shop in Harajuku which specifically mentioned on their website they do not sell sailor uniforms.

I may be passing through a town they have a store in, so I would still like to know if they will sell blank uniforms to anyone.

Otherwise, any other suppliers in Tokyo, such as Takashiyama, which will stock blank ones that are not specific to any school or small group of schools?

Otherwise, Conomi is indeed my only option, but it is not machine washable, and even if not machine washable I would much prefer made in Japan if possible (Conomi is not made in Japan, Kanko's is made in Japan).

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/20 14:46
@Uco

What was it about my post that you didn't agree with in specific? I just told her honestly what she can expect and if she really wants to find an outfit like that, she can look online to try to buy something "authentic" as she suggested.

So.. What exactly was it that you didn't agree with? This is my opinion after all and you can disagree if you want.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/20 17:30
Charlotte J,

The idea is that, in any part of the world, uniforms can be misused. And good people would want to avoid that.

Even if it's a 共通デザイン制服, it's supposed to represent one of the specific schools that have chosen to use that uniform, and the wearer is to represent one of those schools. You can't represent one of those schools unless you truly belong to it. People hope to do their best to avoid that.

Here's a list of Kanko shops in Tokyo.
https://kanko-gakuseifuku.co.jp/shopinfo/map?click_select=%E6%9D%B1%E4...

And here, Kanko shoes you how you can take care of your uniform.
https://kanko-gakuseifuku.co.jp/care/dailycare.html

Tom,

What was it about my post that you didn't agree with in specific?

It is this part.

If you're just trying to find some "authentic" school uniform that doesn't have logos on it, that's not really going to be very easy to find. If anything, I would just look online at different websites that offer school uniforms and if you think the quality would be on par with what you're looking for, then go for it.

As for the other parts, I felt that the OP already understands that and has answered those questions.

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/20 18:28
Uco, thanks for the information.
I am just after a blank uniform that can be worn at almost any school in Japan that does not have a specific uniform. Not "a small group of 3-4 schools" or any specific school.

I don't fully understand how that system works in Japan. I did find out how it worked in some countries though, where unless you went to a private school with their own uniform, you can just buy one off the shelf from a department store like Target, and it will be good for almost any public school nationwide that do not have their own uniform.

I am looking for something similar, but a Japanese sailor uniform for high schoolers.
If Kanko stocks such a generic uniform usable by dozens or hundreds of schools nationwide for instance, and are willing to sell it to me, that would be great.
This will be much better than the alternatives because Kanko's are machine washable and made in Japan.
Any way to find out if they will, or anyone can please find out for me, since I can't speak Japanese well enough to call them, and don't want to only find out when I get there and waste a trip?
Thanks a lot.

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/20 20:18
Charlotte,

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as "a blank uniform that can be worn at almost any school in Japan". But you can try sending an email to Kanko in plain textbook English.

https://kanko-gakuseifuku.co.jp/inquiry

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/20 21:43
real shop for student uniform(sailor)
学生服のイシハラ
栃木県栃木市倭町7−13
http://sailors.shop-pro.jp/
当店はコスプレ仕様の安価で適当な商品は一切取り扱っておりません。
実際に通学に適する正規品のみしか取り扱わない不器用な店です。
本物のセーラー服をお求めになりたい方だけご来店下さい。
https://www.google.com/search?q=%E5%AD%A6%E7%94%9F%E6%9C%8D%E3%81%AE%E...

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/20 22:01

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/21 10:14
Tombow does look to sell exactly what I am looking for, an actual uniform Japanese students wear to schools that don't have specific uniforms. And seeing they sell the generic/blank ones online it seems they are likely not to care which school I go to. Machine washable too.
However I'd rather go to a physical store, do they have any physical shops, I can go anywhere within Tokyo.
Thanks

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/21 13:19
Used clothing stores like "Bookoff" sell used school uniforms to anyone.
by Stokley rate this post as useful

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/21 16:40
Stokley, thanks I was not aware that Bookoff would sell them. Do you know if Bookoff sell actual uniforms or only free uniforms? And what about Modeoff, would that be a better bet? Any specific outlet you would recommend?
I read that Bookoff and Modeoff can be very cheap, and if I can get it in good condition for significantly cheaper then it may be worth getting second hand. If it is only slightly like 10% cheaper then imo better to stick with new.
Thanks

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/22 09:49
I have seen high school uniforms with the student’s names still embroidered on them at Bookoff. They were not exactly cheap but less expensive than buying them new.
by Stokley rate this post as useful

Re: School Uniform buying process at Takashiyama? 2023/11/22 12:37
Stokley, I assume the names can be removed easily?
May I ask which Bookoff you saw them in? Were there a lot to choose from or only a few?
Seeing a full set from the free uniform shops will cost something like $300, if I can save some money and get a made in Japan one I don't mind second hand if in good condition.
Thanks.

reply to this thread