Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

payment by card - is wise accepted in Japan 2023/11/23 21:50
Hello

In order to save on exchange rate related costs, I intend to use wise card on my upcoming trip in Japan. Has anyone experience with same. Are wise cards usually accepted, as an alternative to more common credit cards?

thanks
by vincent thys (guest)  

Re: payment by card - is wise accepted in Japan 2023/11/24 07:11
I thought wise was a debit card (which you d take to an ATM to withdraw cash)?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: payment by card - is wise accepted in Japan 2023/11/24 09:18
My personal experience with Wise Visa. First time I used in Japan was February this year. Then I could pay on Japanese online sites but couldn't use it at stores hotels etc.

I was advised by a friend to withdraw some JPY the next trip (which I didn't the see the logic of it since I was able to use it in Europe on two trips). Anyway I did that on this recent October trip and now it works fine physically ie swipe or wave. Just a note the Japanese bank side charged JPY220 for the ATM withdrawal.
by CDY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: payment by card - is wise accepted in Japan 2023/11/24 15:43
in general, all shops, both online and real stores, don't make trades directly to VISA and/or Mastercard, etc.
they make a contract with a intermediating company. the intermediating company lends them their terminals to read your cards.
so that, when your card is denied, there are many possibilities : the terminals does not accept your card, the intermediating company refuses your card company, the credit card companies themselves refuse your cards for security, etc. it is impossible to generalize the reasons.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: payment by card - is wise accepted in Japan 2023/11/27 23:13
Don't count of being able to use WISW in Japan. It's not widely accepted. I'm currently in Japan and had assumed I'd be able to use WISE widely - NOT! Be prepared to use credit cards and cash. And... have a great time!!
by Sherrill (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: payment by card - is wise accepted in Japan 2023/12/2 00:25
I've been able to use WISE on ApplePay for bigger stores like Donki and Uniqlo but do be prepared to be told that you can't even use ApplePay.

Always carry cash with you when possible. I've used my Wise card to withdraw JPY from my JPY balance from ATMs here but as mentioned above there's an ATM fee.
by mycatslovewagyu rate this post as useful

Re: payment by card - is wise accepted in Japan 2023/12/20 17:29
Here in Tokyo for 2 weeks - WISE debit card (issued outside of Japan) was easy to use in convenient stores like Lawson, Newdays, FamilyMart, supermarkets and Aeon related retail centers. But it was completely declined at Kappabashi Rd shops, some hotel restaurants and even TeamLab Toyosufs Vegan Ramen UZU which only allowed cashless payments - even you Suica/Pasmos card is ahead of WISE. Conclusion: you still need cash and credit cards.
by CarolC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: payment by card - is wise accepted in Japan 2023/12/20 17:30
Here in Tokyo for 2 weeks - WISE debit card (issued outside of Japan) was easy to use in convenient stores like Lawson, Newdays, FamilyMart, supermarkets and Aeon related retail centers. But it was completely declined at Kappabashi Rd shops, some hotel restaurants and even TeamLab Toyosufs Vegan Ramen UZU which only allowed cashless payments - even you Suica/Pasmos card is ahead of WISE. Conclusion: you still need cash and credit cards.
by CarolC (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread