Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

I know nothing about Japanese nature 2023/12/8 20:20
Hello all!

As I've just recently discovered yet another beautiful part of Japan (hiking), I also came to the understanding that I know nothing of Japanese nature. If someone were to ask me, which tree, flower or bush something was, I would be totally unable to answer. T O T A L L Y

This HAS to change.

So, for someone who just recently started to enjoy hiking and want to know more about Japanese nature, are there any books/apps or something one can use? I would like something that has an image, a short info on what the tree/bush/flower is etc.

There are so many books on Japanese gardens but that is not what I am looking for. Rather, I would like to get some info on what trees/bushes and flowers that are common in the Japanese nature, and some info regarding the different ones.

Anyone has any suggestions of a good book/homepage or even application?

Thank you :)
by TravelupfrontSwe  

Re: I know nothing about Japanese nature 2023/12/9 10:59
https://app-liv.jp/education/zukan/2247/
here is some list of applications.

if you want to have books, go to book store.
you may ask a staff A}, shokubutu-zukan.
A=plant
}=illustrated book.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I know nothing about Japanese nature 2023/12/9 11:20
If Japanese is okay, this site seems to have a lot of information.
Check the English name using translation software.
https://www.uekipedia.jp/
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: I know nothing about Japanese nature 2023/12/9 11:24
I also know absolutely nothing about flora. There is an app I use occasionally to see what a plant is named.
Flora incognita
You can take pictures of the plant and together with your location it gives you the name and a bit more info. All in English

This is not a Japan flora specific app.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: I know nothing about Japanese nature 2023/12/9 15:15
Google is a very resourceful tool. Use it.

Wiki both in Japanese and English has millions of pages of said subject.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I know nothing about Japanese nature 2023/12/15 10:11
@H - why do you have to be so rude?
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I know nothing about Japanese nature 2023/12/15 13:22
To ...
H is just suggesting to OP to use Google. So how is that rude ?
... on the other hand is being rude.

Anyway, how about this app GreenSnap?
https://greensnap.jp/

Or go through this site with lists of plants related apps. It is in Japanese, so use google translate if needed.
Hope I'm not being rude to you.
by @... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I know nothing about Japanese nature 2023/12/15 19:40
I recently used Google Lens to identify a very beautiful flower I saw growing in Arashiyama. It turned out to be a Japanese native plant (Japanese toad lily is the English name), although this specimen was growing in a cultivated garden. I tend to use Google Lens and occasionally some other apps to identify and learn about wildflowers I see hiking in the U.S., and I find it much more natural to identify new (to me) flowers on the spot as I encounter them in nature rather than by using books. Google Lens does a good job with many types of flowers, although it is probably not the best app for wildflower identification. I just use it a lot because it is easy and very often quite accurate, and I was pleased to see it identify a Japanese wildflower. It will also point you to a lot of web sites where you can get more information. It probably isnft very good for identifying trees and bushes, though.

Ifll have to try out the app that LikeBike recommended!
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I know nothing about Japanese nature 2023/12/16 09:15
Letting someone know their are better tool available to them than this forum isn't being rude.

Some people use this forum as a google search bar, when they should just be using google.

Hopefully the OP has gone in a positive direction to find the information he/she is looking for.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I know nothing about Japanese nature 2023/12/16 18:36
Dear all green thumbs of Japan

Wow, I would first like to thank all of you for some really great suggestions and recommendations. Thank you very much! I have downloaded some great apps, while also looking at many of the urls you guys posted. It will help out immensely.

I hope this thread can serve as help to other who also feel they cannot see the trees for the forest(sic) :)

Thanks a bunch, and if someone else has more suggestions. I will be sure to keep my eyes on this thread.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Vinc
by TravelupfrontSwe rate this post as useful

Re: I know nothing about Japanese nature 2023/12/27 20:04
I use the free PlantNet app and it works well for me.
I also use BirdNet to identify birds by their song
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread