Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Emailing Ainu Leaders? 2023/12/11 07:40
I live in the northeastern United States, so I'm too far away to visit in person. However, I'm learning what I can about the Ainu people and culture, as I learn about marimo "moss ball" algae!

I am starting to message Ainu organizations and people, in hopes of asking permission to paint and share their legend of Senato and Manibe. I do not want to be a "culture vulture" or colonial by assuming I have permission to tell their story or sell my drawings - that would be wrong.
Rather, I want to educate others, using social media, artwork, and kids books, about how important it is to learn from people whose cultures are different than your own. For example, I am not Ainu and I'm not Japanese. However, I am learning a bit about their culture as I learn more about marimo "moss ball" algae. I often call them "Water Tribbles," because they are cute fuzzy balls and because I love Star Trek.

It's a good lesson to share, and I want to demonstrate the right kind of respectful culture-sharing. It's an important lesson for kids in America to learn, especially since we have a sad history of doing this the wrong way, here in the U.S.

One day I might be rich enough to travel to Japan and visit Hokkaido during Marimo Matsuri! It would be amazing to be there, to learn from Ainu leaders as they celebrate each October.
No matter what, I want to give something back, because my life is more interesting for having learned about the Ainu and their story.

If I get permission from a few Ainu people or organizations, I would love to add this story to a book I'm writing for kids about Marimo.
I worked for years as a Science teacher, so I want to teach kids what Algae are, how Photosynthesis works, how to responsibly and ethically raise Marimo so there is no harm to the environment, and things like that.

I will *only* include the Ainu story of Senato and Manibe if I am given permission. The story belongs to the Ainu people and culture, and I do not want to "steal" it without permission.

I don't know exactly where to start, but want to thank you!
-Lauren
by Lauren Khoyi Noyes (guest)  

Re: Emailing Ainu Leaders? 2023/12/11 15:41
There is an Ainu culture exhibition in London now. It might make a good starting point to get in touch with some organizations / artists:

https://www.japanhouselondon.uk/whats-on/ainu-stories-contemporary-liv...
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Emailing Ainu Leaders? 2023/12/11 17:35
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Emailing Ainu Leaders? 2023/12/12 10:34
This is a sentence written about Marimo Festival.
It seems that you can't copy and paste, so you can't use translation software. Please ask someone who can speak Japanese to tell you the contents.
https://www.ff-ainu.or.jp/about/files/sem1604.pdf
Incidentally, it is said that the Ainu are the indigenous people of Hokkaido, but there is also a theory that the Jomon people existed in Hokkaido before that.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Emailing Ainu Leaders? 2023/12/13 00:27
The Ainu is an interesting culture which has almost disappeared from Hokkaido. Understanding the history will also help you understand what you are asking for, along with your ability to get "permission" to share these stories.

What I'm about to say is my understanding of the Ainu to the best of my knowledge - so there might be some errors or nuance missing.

Hokkaido is very similar to Alaska in terms of size, nature and ruggedness. Hokkaido (specifically away from the South) is just large and sparsely populated. This is specifically true close to the "momoji" lakes which are one of the few places I've not visited in Japan due to it's remoteness.

Hokkaido also has not been a part of Japan for that long - and I'd almost consider it to be similar to what happened to Hawaii (but Hokkaido did not have large kingdoms). That being - Japan annexed Hokkaido in the mid-late 1800's. Due to the sparse population that could be supported in Hokkaido followed by immigration of mainland Japanese, there are few Ainu people period. As such - finding Ainu who speak English who see themselves as leaders will be quite difficult to find. There is around 25,000 ainu according to the census but potentially up to 200,000 not in the census.

Contacting Ainu groups in the Akan area will be helpful - but the main problem is there are only a few thousand people living in this area. That does not include people who are actually Ainu.

If I was looking to contact people - I'd probably start with the following two locations:

(1) Japanese National Park Service (Akan Area)
(2) National Ainu Museum (https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5375.html)

Also - writing polite but to the point is also really important. A Japanese person who speaks some English will probably be quite confused with comments about colonizers attitudes which is very much a North American thing.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Emailing Ainu Leaders? 2023/12/13 01:31
Thank you all so much! I'm so grateful to have your help. I will read all of these links and learn all I can. Good advice - I will also simplify my message, going forward. Thank you! :)
by Lauren Khoyi Noyes (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Emailing Ainu Leaders? 2023/12/13 01:34
Just my two cents, but I agree with mfedley's advice about being polite but also succinct and direct. Generally speaking, Japan doesn't have the same sensitivity/aversion to cultural appropriation that many western countries currently do. As such, there isn't a prevailing attitude that non-Japanese people need to acquire permission in order to talk about Japanese culture, and formally requesting such permission is likely to confuse the person you're asking, as they're unlikely to see themselves as gatekeepers or to be comfortable being asked to speak for their entire ethnic group. Because of that, your correspondence is likely to go most smoothly if you frame your request as wanting to learn more about Ainu culture so that you can accurately present it to children in your home country.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread