Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Ishigaki (Yaeyama) in mid-March 2024/1/24 16:40
Hi All,

My wife and I are planning our 3rd and 4th visits to Japan this year.

We have annual leave to use up in March and are also considering travelling to Kagoshima / Yakushima in November.

For the March trip we are planning to fly from the UK to Ishigaki and spend 10 days exploring the Yaeyama islands.

I realise 6-18 March is a bit early and the temperatures could be on the low side but the flight prices increase later on in March (Easter).

It looks like the ferries to the various islands are running in March.

Will most other attractions and restaurants be open?

Our main interests are hiking, food, drink and photography.

The plan would be to do day trips to most of the Yaeyama islands but stay in Ishigaki as a base. We might stay on Iriomote for a couple of nights. Would probably hire a car for some of the days in Ishigaki (c.$50 per day) - wefve driven in Japan begore and have an international licence.

Our first trip to Japan was 10 years ago - golden triangle, plus Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Hiroshima and Takayama - 3 weeks.

Our 2nd trip was in Nov last year. We spent 2.5 weeks around the Seto Inland Sea (Onomichi, art islands, Shimanami Kaido) and then looped back via Hagi, Matsue and Okayama. This trip was even better than the first and it was even better being (slightly) more off the beaten track.

We are a 40 year old couple. No kids. Just us!

Any advice on Ishigaki or Yaeyama appreciated.

Thanks.
by NoEnglishMenu  

Re: Ishigaki (Yaeyama) in mid-March 2024/1/25 02:05
10 days for just the Yaeyama Islands may be excessive. The main island has the most to see and do and wider variety. Ishigaki & Miyakojima have some great scenery, but less to do. If you just want to kick back and do little, it may suit you quite well. The official swimming season starts Mar/Apr, but you may still find it chilly for you. For Ishigaki, don't miss its wonderful limestone cave.
If you want to do some island hopping, look into JAL's Explorer Fare for cheap flights between the islands.
https://www.jal.co.jp/world/en/world/japan_explorer_pass/lp/

If you solely want to focus on Ishigaki though, there are direct flights there from Tokyo and Osaka.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread