Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Will my mix toddler with curls be bully? 2024/2/1 05:45
Hi, everyone I did post a question before about moving to Japan which I got a lot of great advice and really appreciate it.
Now I have a new question and concern. Ifm almost done with my studies at my university school as Ifm getting a bachelor degree in business mama. Ifm already planning and organizing to start my move but also going to visit Japan with my son this spring break but also goes to interviews for my new job in japan. I started looking for a kindergarten school for my son. I did find one and decide on enrolling him in gFuji kindergarten schoolh and Ifve been in contact with the staff which they were very nice on helping me with anything about the school and they also want me and my son to come meet the director of the school. I want to ask because Ifm a black single mom with a mix toddler boy that is not the same color as me and he also have natural bronze kinky thick big curls. He was born with the curls and upon doing research I know in Japan majority of the population donft have curly hair or bronze color hair. I didnft tell Fuji kindergarten about my son being mix or having natural curls yet but now Ifm so nervous and wondering how will they treat my son when they meet him will they allow him to enroll. Please if any mom have their mix kids at Fuji kindergarten or anyone that can tell me about the school that they know because I want to know is my son will be ok because I really donft want him to be bully or not make friends or even the staff not treating him welcoming at the school but I am more nervous because I plan to work or do an internship in Japan and move there and I really want my son to feel welcome hefs already studying Japanese and already know the basic and can even count in Japanese up to 100 (Ifm not making this up but my son since he was two his current school evaluating him and found he was at a kindergarten level because he can also read is a whole lot but I want him to have a great childhood) he also knows how to say the colors and learn more words which he enjoys. He also enjoy his tutor witch is a sweet Japanese tutor before our big move but now Ifm getting nervous that he wonft able to enjoy his new school because of his curls and hair color. Please any advice will be very much appreciated. I just want my son to be happy. I love Japan and is always my dream to move there but I also want my son to be happy and continue to enjoy his childhood and learning the Japanese culture will be super amazing for him but Ifm just hoping they welcome him despite the curls and bronze hair color. Ifm hoping Fuji director and staff donft judge us brutally and be very welcome because they were nice in the email during our interacting back and forth.
Thank you!
by Fluffy29  

Re: Will my mix toddler with curls be bully? 2024/2/1 10:42
I doubt he'd get bullied at kindy age groups.

As kids get older and learn intolerances from media or parents, then yes most likely will be bullied.

But kids get bullied for being tall short fat skinny big ears little ears etc etc. So bullying will happen anyway.

Bonus is Japan in the past decade has really changed with their nationalistic views. Half Japanese and immigrants aren't treated so poorly as 10 years ago. Still a long way to go. But hopefully the next 10 years bring even more positive change.

by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my mix toddler with curls be bully? 2024/2/1 18:46
I know in Japan majority of the population donft have curly hair or bronze color hair.

Well, my son always had curly bronze color hair and hazel eyes, and he never encountered serious bullying.

I have to admit that people have often asked if he is of mixed race, but as far as I know he is Japanese and Asian. Kindergarten teachers adored his curly long hair, although it wasn't anything new in Japan.

I didnft tell Fuji kindergarten about my son being mix or having natural curls yet but now Ifm so nervous

You should indeed start by telling the kindergarten. As a parent, I feel that communication and cooperation is the key in avoiding problems including bullying.

By talking to the teachers, they would be able to protect your son while making sure other kids know that it's important too. You should also try to communicate with other parents (there would be meetings and events that parents are encouraged to attend), because humans tend to be scared of what they don't know. By knowing each other, the parents could help you be understood among other kids.

In other words, a kindergarten that won't try to communicate with you or understand you is not for you. In fact, it's not for anybody. I'm sure they can help you if you let them.

Please if any mom have their mix kids at Fuji kindergarten

Google tells me that there are a lot of kindergartens in Japan by that name.

I feel that people are mirrors. If you're scared of them, they tend to be scared of you. I hope you can feel at ease by socializing. If language barrier is a problem, discuss it with your local city hall. The city hall is there to help all residents regardless of race or nationality.

I wish you a pleasant stay and career in Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Will my mix toddler with curls be bully? 2024/2/2 00:32
Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. I really feel at ease with your advice I will definitely let the school know about my son mix and looks so they are aware. I will also do my best to make a lot of mom friends while in Japan so they will understand my son and I. You guys have make me feel less nervous and ok with the fact that everything will be ok if I just let them know and be open everyone.
Thank you 🙏
by Fluffy29 rate this post as useful

Re: Will my mix toddler with curls be bully? 2024/2/3 01:51
This is only anacdotal comments as a teacher, but most kids don't associate racial identity until in primary school.

Not being able to communicate in Japanese might be a bigger one but kids that age can pick up languages so quick it's not funny
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Will my mix toddler with curls be bully? 2024/2/3 02:50
Yes, you right my son already picking up the language real quick and hefs enjoying learning it.
Thank you 🙏 for the reassurance:)
by Fluffy29 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread