Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/1 12:47
Hello everyone.

I left Japan 2 months ago for good and while I still have my active Japanese driver’s license which will be expiring in 5 months, is it still possible for me to renew it only with a visitor passport/tourist passport and without providing any proof of residence permit (Zairyu card, Juuminhyou etc.) or such? I don’t really want to lose my JP’s driver’s license since I made it from scratch by enrolling in a driving school..

Any answers welcome, looking forward for your answers!
by Nathan C (guest)  

Re: JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/2 15:53
If you're not a resident in Japan any longer, then you can't renew it as you've left and don't have your residence card any longer. It's sort of like having a bank account in Japan. If you're not living here, how do you expect to just open an account from another country?
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/2 18:39
@Tom, it sounds like you are assuming. Not checking

To OP, per this document from Kanagawa Prefecture there is a way to renew your license. P5
https://www.police.pref.kanagawa.jp/assets/entry/eng/e_pic/eng83017.pd...
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/3 10:16
I'm saying, if he left the country, then how is he going to get license in another country? It's not like Japan is just going to ship it to his home country. He's not living in Japan any longer, so why would he need a Japanese license updated if he's not living there?

That part doesn't make sense to me and seems sensible to apply in which a place you're currently living. That would be like myself trying to get a license in a country I've never lived in and just expect to start driving once I get there.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/4 11:58
We renewed driver's license without residence record years ago. It was on the condition that the temporary stay address remained the same as that on the license card. If it's changed, resident record submission is required.
by KyushuLocal rate this post as useful

Re: JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/4 12:09
It may work for the current driver's license as in previous post. When the license is merged into MyNumber card, it may not work.

Re: JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/4 12:30
@LikeMike
Thanks for the answer! It really helps! As a matter of fact, today I went to the police station to discuss about this matter in detail and apparently they said that it is possible to renew your driver's license albeit the fact that you do not have your Japanese residence permit anymore!

Apparently all you need is the address on where you will be staying in Japan and then have the owner of the building/property on where you are residing to sign a document for you that states that you will be staying here for *insert duration of stay*, your visa, your old driver's license and a portrait photo!

by Nathan C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/4 16:46
I remember renewal process doesn't require juminhyo while reissue needs it to be submitted.

Re: JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/5 15:51
It would be possible to renew, but it is something to be done in Japan/in person. Have to attend those safety lectures after all.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/20 10:38
As long as you have the Hagaki (ハガキ)they send you just before renewal is required - you will be able to renew.
I had an issue where my licence was renewed and then rejected by the receiver as there was a new person living there along with my friend (at the address on my card). The police office called and I was able to collect it from Police Office directly.
by Dan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/20 22:12
Renewing a Japanese driver's license typically requires proof of residence, which is commonly provided through the Zairyu card or Juuminhyou. However, requirements and processes may vary, and it's best to check with the local driving license center in Japan or the embassy/consulate in your current location.

In some cases, individuals leaving Japan may be able to renew their license through a proxy or by mail, but it's crucial to confirm the specific procedures and requirements with the relevant authorities. They will provide accurate information on whether a visitor passport alone is sufficient for renewal.

Contacting the Japanese embassy or consulate in your current country of residence would be a good first step to get precise guidance on your situation.
by Cerve rate this post as useful

Re: JP Driver License Renewal (No residence) 2024/2/22 10:57
"typically requires proof of residence"
The OP's case is not typical. As referenced in the link, it is possible to do with an overseas address. But, the process of renewal, even if done at a police box/station is not complete until the safety lecture requirement is satisfied (I am assuming the police can administer the eye check as it is only at certain locations), and that is something to be done locally.
Even when I renewed my home country license recently, I needed to front in person. As an important form of ID, you can't do it remotely (which for me was a pain as it expired while New Zealand was not allowing citizens into the country).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread