Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Need help with a light novel translation 2024/2/3 09:22
Hey everyone, I've run into some issues with scaling on the Vs Battle Wiki forums, particularly regarding the exact meaning behind a phrase. In this series Isekai Maou, I'm trying to argue that there are infinite parallel worlds because the original Kanji used for the english translation of "countless worlds and universes" was "三千大千世界" or "Sanzen Daisen Sekai". I know that the literal translation is "Three thousand great worlds", but after some research I learned that it refers to the Buddhist cosmological system of the universe, which is infinite in nature. My question is, how would a Japanese author writing for a Japanese audience intend for them to interpret this line? My assumption is that there's clear intent by choosing those kanji over something simple like "countless worlds", but others on the Vs battle forum don't seem to agree. There's another line that I believe reinforces my argument, which is:

"此は運命律を歪曲できる《ヘルヴェティアの槍》―異なる世界から持ちこまれた、定められし無限 記憶に縛られぬ超越魔法具。"

The official english translation of this is: ""This is the Lance of Helvetia, capable of distorting the laws of destiny. An Adh Artifact unfettered by the bounds of Akasha, that was brought here from another world."

But when I ran it through DeepL I got: "The "Spear of Helvetia" - a transcendent magical tool brought from another world, unbound by memories of a predetermined infinity, capable of distorting the rules of destiny."

This "predetermined infinity" would be referring to the infinite worlds with predetermined futures (Fate exists as a concept in Isekai Maou), at least with the context of "三千大千世界".

Overall, just wanna know if I'm on the right track or if I'm butchering the intended meaning by the author.
by Jake (guest)  

Re: Need help with a light novel translation 2024/2/4 13:26
Jake,

I'm afraid I'm not nerdy enough to understand your question. But as a Japanese resident and professional translator between English and Japanese, I can say that (A) official translations are released after making sure it correctly reflects the nuances of the original text, including the parts that the author has not yet revealed to the audience, and (B) automatic translations including DeepL is known to be unreliable, and I agree.

My question is, how would a Japanese author writing for a Japanese audience intend for them to interpret this line?

A typical Japanese person would have never heard of the phrase 三千大千世界. That said, a serious Buddhist or a serious anime/game fan would have, because it seems that it is used in 新桃太郎伝説, ONE PIECE and マテリアル・パズル ゼロクロイツ among others. So, I would assume that the phrase would sound more anime/game-ish as opposed to a more common phrase.

For example, when we Google 三千大千世界, we mostly find dictionaries stating the Buddism meaning. But if we search the word on Twitter (X), the majority of posters using the phrase seems to be anime fans, although not necessarily commenting on Isekai-Maou. I noticed a post implying that 三千大千世界 is essentially the same thing as 大宇宙 (macrocosmos).

The following site I happened to find is just for your reference.
https://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E4%B8%89%E5%8D%83%E4%B8%96%E7%95%8C

I hope someone with better knowledge can help you.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread