Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Advice on hair cutting scissors in Japan 2024/2/8 07:20
Hi there, I cut my husbands hair instead of going to a salon/barber. I am looking for some advice as he has very thick asian hair and we have struggled to find scissors that can successfully cut through it.

After reflection, I realised I should be trying to purchase better quality scissors made for asian hair type, and I know from reputation that Japanese scissors are superior in craft.

I live in New Zealand and recently visited Japan last year. Soon I will be placing some orders for some special skin care products I purchased from a salon in Kyoto and having them shipped through Rakuten. At the same time I can purchase some Japanese scissors and have them shipped also.

I would like some suggestions for where I may be able to purchase quality Japanese scissors, however I would not like to spend more than around \13,500. I have seen many professional ones for upwards of 4 or 5 times that price, as well as ones in Donki and pharmacies for much much cheaper - but I am looking for an in-between.

If anyone could please suggest something like this I would be very grateful for their help.
Thank you very much in advance!
by beenannon  

Since no one seems to be replying 2024/2/10 16:58
Hi beenannon,

I hope someone with more experience can answer your question, but since there seems to be no response at the moment, I thought I might share some thoughts.

I'm a Japanese resident, and I get the impression that, here in Japan, anyone having trouble with hair just goes salon/barber shopping. The majority of us probably know nothing about the quality of scissors for hair.

But I can say that professionals use more hair-thinning scissors (shears) to handle thick or rich hair. I searched the internet a little bit, and they do indeed encourage you to do so if you're cutting your own hair.

In other words, if the hair is thick, rather than to "cut through", they'd just make the hair thinner and thinner until they can trim the edges. They'd also cut the inner parts just a bit shorter if they want to make your hair curl inward. Or they'd sometimes cut vertically instead of horizontally in order to subtly creat a natural zig-zag. At least, those were the things that were done to me when I used to have a great volume of hair. There'd be a carpet of hair after they thin it.

I also did a Japanese Google video search on the key phrase "how to cut hard hair" which also gave me results on how to cut thick hair and hair with volume. Maybe it would help.
https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=830b62208023c497&rlz=1C1SQJL_jaJ...

For the record, my son who has thin Asian hair cuts his own, and he says he randomly bought his scissors at Tokyu Hands. I looked at its on-line shop and noticed that the most expensive ones are about 3300 yen.

I hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread