Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Any opinions on Tsuruga, Fukui? 2024/2/9 11:31
I have the 5-Day Kansai Wide Area Pass and saw it's one of the places to visit. I've already been to other major destinations with the pass (Kinosaki, Amanohashidate, Tottori, etc.), so I wanted to see something different from the usual spots.

I've checked on Japan Guide, and while it's helpful on some sites and transport options--wanted to ask for any first-hand experience and if it's worth a stop even for a half day.

Thanks!
by KansaiTraveller2024 (guest)  

Re: Any opinions on Tsuruga, Fukui? 2024/2/9 20:50
Any town can be worth with the right attitude.

Tsuruga is a very minor tourist destination, but - with the right attitude - has its charms. A highlight is the museum about the WW2 Jewish refugees. Railway fans will also find some sites of interest thanks to the city's importance as transportation hub. But there are many, more interesting destinations.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Any opinions on Tsuruga, Fukui? 2024/2/9 22:08
A number of years ago (2017), I took a day trip that was a loop from Kyoto to Tsuruga on a Thunderbird limited express train, from Tsuruga to Obama on the Obama line (local) and then continuing on from Obama to Maizuru (Obama line local), and then a Maizuru limited express from Maizuru (I think the station was actually Higashi Maizuru, but I have forgotten) to Kyoto. I stopped in Obama for a few hours and took the excursion boat from the port complex (walking distance from the JR station, or a short cab ride) and had a great seafood lunch in a restaurant there. It was one of the best day trips I have taken in Japan, a great mix of train riding and sightseeing. The excursion boat was great and so was the lunch. For some people, a day like this would maybe too much time spent on trains, but it was very much to my liking. The ocean scenery on the Obama line was nice, and the scenery on both of the limited express trains was nice.

I don't know what the situation is nowadays with the trains, and also the excursion boat in Obama doesn't run during the winter, so depending on when you are there it might not be an option. (I would probably not do this trip if the boat ride wasn't available.)

Anyway, if you are looking for something that makes great use of a rail pass and is different from the usual spots, this would be one suggestion. You would have to research the trains carefully if you don't want to be stuck at one of the stations for a long time waiting for the next train. I did not spend any time in Tsuruga except what it took to change trains, which wasn't very long. There is apparently a bus that is covered by the pass that might get you to Obama faster (?) but I don't know anything about it.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any opinions on Tsuruga, Fukui? 2024/2/9 22:23
If you haven't been to Takamatsu yet (or if you don't mind going back; I have been there four or five times myself and am always happy to go again), it is another great day trip from many places in Kansai. The train ride from Okayama on the Marine Liner is one of my favorites. It is actually one thing you can do on a rainy day, as Ritsurin Koen is resplendent when wet. They have big umbrellas you can borrow.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any opinions on Tsuruga, Fukui? 2024/2/10 05:54
Really depends on what you are in to. They all have touristy places to see and do.

I'd google the local tourism website over Japan Guide for better info.

Other options I'll throw out there...

Otsu
Omi Hachiman
Hikone
Nagahama
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any opinions on Tsuruga, Fukui? 2024/2/11 10:13
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuruga,_Fukui#Local_attractions
I recall some years ago that Fukui prefecture held the "record" for the prefecture with the fewest tourists in Japan. It was not because it was lacking access - the express trains are frequent and not far from the population hubs of Osaka, Kyoto and Nagoya.
I would, however, agree that any place you visit could easily have some hidden gems that appeal to your interests. That might be a cool lunch spot, watching the world (and ships in the port) go by, or just the fact that you are doing some exploring away from the usual tourist spots.
I would second a visit to Takamatsu - a lot to see/do there. Kinosaki is not far away either - can be combined with Okayama.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread