Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Cars running idle in Tokyo 2024/2/14 14:20
Been strolling through Tokyo streets in the evening noticing cars parked with engine on, hazard lights on, apparently sleeping or resting. Not sure what they are doing it why, never seen that in any other country. Feels it would be rather bad having the engine running or if it might be the AC system running.

Any clue about this?

by Jolo (guest)  

Re: Cars running idle in Tokyo 2024/2/14 16:13
Despite it being against the regulations, it is very common, especially in winter (for heating) and in summer (for cooling), but some people even do it when the temperatures would be fine for just switching off the engine. I have to be honest: I do it myself occasionally in summer when I am waiting for somebody in the car and the temperature is 38 degrees outside.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Cars running idle in Tokyo 2024/2/14 17:37
I quite understand it, I remember driving a renral car in october and with the a/c turned off it was terribly hot. Never did when idling though.

But does not police tell them off? It ought to bring a lot of pollution maybe.
by Jolo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cars running idle in Tokyo 2024/2/14 18:54
People do it (A) to prevent themselves from dozing off while driving, (B) to save money rather than to pay for a parking lot, cafe or hotel, and (C) because the driver knows that (s)he won't be bothered by police at that specific place.

I quite understand it, I remember driving a renral car in october and with the a/c turned off it was terribly hot. Never did when idling though.

You were probably lucky to be driving that car. All car a/c I've used in my life didn't work properly unless I kept the car idling.

But does not police tell them off? It ought to bring a lot of pollution maybe.

Exactly. And noise too. As a regular resident, I've stepped up to the drivers myself and asked them to turn the engine off. Also, refer to (C).

The other day, though, a police car was parked in my neighborhood with the engine on. I went to see it since it was idling for so long, and realized there was no one in it. I looked around and here came a couple of policemen back to their car. It seems that they needed to get their job done in the neighborhood where they couldn't park their car. Perhaps emergency vehicles need to keep their engine on. Whatever...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Cars running idle in Tokyo 2024/2/14 20:53
Funny this came up, we're in Yokohama and see it on main roads all the time. Hazards on, cars sometimes idling, sometimes off, sometimes occupied, sometimes not. Immediately where we are people are running in to pick up their takeaway food/deliveries, or picking up/dropping off a person with mobility issues.

The police seem to mostly ignore it, the cars are sometimes there for quite a while ie walk past on the way to the supermarket, still there 20 minutes later when we're heading back.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cars running idle in Tokyo 2024/2/15 13:14
Ohh.. I hate those AH parking idler. House kitchen/dining is facing the community center parking.

I don't mind if it just 5-10 minutes idling while waiting to pickup someone but F if you do it for more than 30 min. Especially park with car exhaust facing the kitchen.

And also, at night 4 out of 10 who idling just keep their headlight on. F, had some decency and switch off your headlight, don't F shine it on other people. Most car park have these AH.

The thing you see/suffer staying within community center/daycare. Some people just don't have any common sense/courtesy. F KY.

Ranting done.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread