Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Philosopher's Path in late May? 2024/2/24 16:25
Hi, would like to find out if it is advisable/worth-it to visit the Philosopher's Path during May (20th May onwards)? Thanks!
by Bec g  

Re: Philosopher's Path in late May? 2024/2/24 17:04
Outside of the cherry blossom season (around early April), it is a quite ordinary - though pleasant - walking path connecting Ginkakuji with Nanzenji. Nothing too special.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Philosopher's Path in late May? 2024/3/7 02:33
We visited in May a long time ago. No cherry blossoms, but we enjoyed it so much we are planning to visit again this May. It is a great route for popping in and out of all the little temples along the way, plus it is a nice stroll beside the water. And just a bit before the start of the path is the Nanzenji Waterway bridge, so consider making that the unofficial start if you decide to walk the path. :)
by GameAngel64 rate this post as useful

Re: Philosopher's Path in late May? 2024/3/8 10:07
I certainly didn't find it very memorable. During the cherry blossom or autumn leaf season, it would be a different story (though with loads more people as well), but otherwise it is just a walk by a cement gully. I normally take loads of pictures of places I visit, but I saw hardly anything I wanted to shoot - a duck swimming in the water was about it. To be honest, it is one of the most overhyped places in Kyoto.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Philosopher's Path in late May? 2024/3/13 19:07
we visited the area in may 2019 & really enjoyed the walk along philosopher's path after visiting impressive ginkakuji. sites which come to mind include the interesting honenin temple with it's very impressive thatched gate. otoyo shrine with interesting history, animal statues & bush clover in flower. along the path were residences some with interesting art work in their gardens.
by supie rate this post as useful

Re: Philosopher's Path in late May? 2024/3/13 20:36
Philosopherfs Path goes through Higashiyama district including Ginkakuji, Honen-in, Enkando and Nanzenji. My recommendation for one day tour in Kyoto is visit Ginkakuji first and then walk south to these temples, ending at Subway Keage station. Philosopherfs Path is the sidewalk where you donft need to worry about cars. Basically there is no faster route for the above tour.

However, if you have only one day in Kyoto and would like to visit top three attractions in Kyoto (Kinkakuji, Kiyomizudera and Fushimi-inari), you may need to omit Ginkakuji to Nanzenji route.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Philosopher's Path in late May? 2024/3/17 10:27
I have to disagree a little with the negative views on the path.
Although I agree outside spring and autumn the path is not at all spectacular, I actually enjoy its ordinary pleasantness, and is a nice break away from the concrete jungle. It also connects several great temples. Further, I like the fact it passes through some everyday Residential areas. I like snippets of everyday life.
And come summer walks with plenty of tree foliage can offer respite from heat.
If you want to go to both ginkakuji and honen-in, then why not
by Matt P (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Philosopher's Path in late May? 2024/3/17 19:43

Philosopherfs Path is undoubtedly best visited during the Hanami. However, it is still a fairly pleasant area to visit at any season, especially if you are into temples, a few interesting ones along the way.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread