Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Long story. Help me to think rationally 2024/2/24 17:19
Constructive, tactful replies only please!!!

Last October or so, a young man from an agency working on behalf of a big wifi company came to our home. Obviously trying to make a sale, he used high pressure tactics. I told him I don't want him to talk to my husband directly because my husband hates these kinds of things and is extremely tired and stressed when he comes home from work. However, when I came home from shopping, I discovered that the man had returned to our house, met my husband who had come home from work a little earlier than usual, and was in the middle of having my husband sign the contract. My husband started to show obvious signs of irritability and even stomped out of the room, and I was trying to be polite, so I was left to finish up the loose ends. I was totally confused why my husband was signing the contract when he was obviously not in the mood to do so. It was a mess of confusion, frustration, and trying to maintain composure. It was only a little later that I came to the realization that my husband mistakenly thought that *I* was the one who wanted to change to this new company. The man must have convinced him that this was the case.

Anyway, since then, we have been having so many problems with this new company. I am so upset that the man was only thinking of making a sale and having no regard for my limited Japanese ability as well as having no regard for my husband not wanting to deal with such things.

All the follow-up once the man was finished and had gone was left to me as my husband didn't have the energy to do anything. But because the man didn't clearly teach me exactly what things I was supposed to do once the contract was signed, we ended up paying for 2 companies (the previous one and this new one) for 2 months!! Then the man didn't inform me about signing up immediately for the automatic payment, so when I went to pay at the conbini, I was surprised when I had to pay the extra fee each time. (I have since filled out and mailed the automatic payment form.)

Even the wifi service the company was supposed to provide didn't work properly. Overall in general, the wifi has been available, but many, many, many times, it would suddenly just cut off. Sometimes it would cut off while we were right in the middle of watching a video. It started happening so frequently that I then started to document each time a problem occurred and on which phone, tablet, etc. We learned to reset the wifi every time it happened, but it is a very inconvenient nuisance!

I tried calling both the agency and the wifi company to help resolve the problem. The agency refused to help at first, avoiding offering any supportive help until I grew so irritated at their subpar customer service that I literally stopped being cordial and for the first time in my entire life, against my nature, I totally lost my cool while speaking to a stranger/staff person. Eventually they switched me over to talk with probably a higher level supervisor who calmly tried to address my concerns, but still wouldn't give actual support that would solve the problem.

So I decided to find the wifi company staff and deal with them in person. But after trying so hard to get them to help, it became so frustrating using my time, energy, and money, going there over and over and over and hardly getting anything resolved.

Then to make it worse, once the switch was completely made (i.e., the previous company was formally cancelled), our fax machine stopped working. And then after being able to use our home phone just one time, the 2nd time, it wouldn't work and hasn't been in operation since then. When I went to talk to the wifi company staff and they tried to input the home telephone number that we were given into their computer system, they said that number doesn't work and so they can't access the contract account under my husband's name.

So finally when we called the wifi support number, they are charging us money to have someone come to fix the problem. I am livid! We never even got good service in the first place to begin with. With our previous company, we didn't have this kind of problem. But now with this new company, we have no use of our fax machine, our home telephone is no longer in service, and our wifi signal has extremely poor reception. Why should we have to pay for the service that we never received and then pay again to have it fixed!? Am I wrong in my thinking? I know I am so upset, that maybe I'm not thinking clearly. If anyone has kind advice, I would appreciate hearing it. (But as I am so upset, I most certainly don't need any rude, tactless comments to stress me out further.)
by Guest (guest)  

Re: Long story. Help me to think rationally 2024/2/25 06:57
Can you contact your original internet provider, ask them to help you switch back to their services, and how to terminate your new contract? I bet they would be happy to make a sale. Make sure that your previous contact is really terminated before signing though.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Long story. Help me to think rationally 2024/2/25 07:20
You might want to speak with your city hall. Maybe they have some consumer advise center that can help you or that maybe already knows about that new company and how they work.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Long story. Help me to think rationally 2024/2/25 09:28
Thank you for your replies. Yes, all throughout this time, I had also been in contact with my original internet provider, and they were in sympathy with my case, but apparently could not do anything to help me. They told me, in the Japanese culture, the typical response would be to hire a lawyer. But to avoid going that far since it is very troublesome, to just get very assertive and "in your face" to the company.

I haven't talked to city hall yet, so maybe I'll try that. I wonder if there is something equivalent to a BBB (Better Business Bureau) in Japan?
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long story. Help me to think rationally 2024/2/25 11:42
The website of the National Consumer Affairs Center of Japan may be useful for you.
https://www.kokusen.go.jp/ncac_index_e.html
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Long story. Help me to think rationally 2024/2/25 18:22
I agree with haro1210. You should start there.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Long story. Help me to think rationally 2024/2/25 20:00
Thank you very much! I appreciate it. I will look this up too.

Re: Long story. Help me to think rationally 2024/2/26 12:04
if your purpose is to find places where you complain, the above posts may be helpful. probably, not helpful to solve your problem.
what is your real purpose ?
it seems that the problems arose from your poor knowledges.
can you explain what was the previous service you had and what is the new service you have ?
although you only said poor wifi connection, how about wired connection ? if it works well, it is not their (the provider's) problem.
when you change the providers, did you change an item, such as a router ? or did you change the optical fiber ? (it means that you change the overall system.)

about house phone problem, it is complicated. it depends on the origin of the phone number and the providers.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long story. Help me to think rationally 2024/2/27 17:03
@ken
your response is the kind of tactless reply I was referring to as not needing.

Re: Long story. Help me to think rationally 2024/2/29 19:23
Did the new company supply different hardware, i.e. a new wi-fi router?
It's entirely possible that your performance problems may be able to be technically resolved and avoid the huge hassle of trying to switch back companies.
by Denis C rate this post as useful

reply to this thread